Discussion topic: Sky Go app cannot find Sky Q box

This message was authored by Roo1 This message was authored by: Roo1

Sky Go app cannot find Sky Q box

I have a multi screen subscription but the Sky Go app cannot find my Sky Q box so I cannot access recordings or the remote control feature. I have deleted and re-downloaded the app but no success.

can anyone please help?

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: Sky Go app cannot find Sky Q box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Is the option turned on in both the settings of the app and the Sky Go box ?

Are they both on the same Wifi network ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Roo1
Topic Author

Thanks for that reply which triggered me to work out what is going on. Although I have an expensive mesh network the sky Q box was still not talking to the sky mini in the cinema room so the Sky engineer guy gave up trying to sort it even after switching out the boxes. So I now have a Sky Q and one mini box hardwired with a Sky booster box creating a Sky only network to the mini box upstairs.
If I hook up my iPad to the LAN the remote feature and recordings appear on the app...but as I don't have the password for the sky booster network I cannot join that network (on the occasion I might need to wirelessly access my recordings or if I cant find the remote). I am loath to reset the sky booster in case I lose functionality upstairs. 

Roo1
Topic Author

...this also explains why i can only see one of my 3 apple tv boxes on the control centre apple remote on my phone as two are hard wired also! 
Your simple reply was very helpful as it made me go back to basics to work it out!!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Roo1 wrote:

as I don't have the password for the sky booster network I cannot join that network

That's correct: where Sky isn't the ISP a Sky booster is only loaned to fix Q television issues (using WPS to make the link between Q television boxes) and isn't an access point for other client devices to use.  In those circumstances there are no user accessible credentials for the signal which the booster is broadcasting..

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Roo1 

It's perhaps worth noting that a Q Mini should work over ethernet from one of those expensive mesh nodes: what it won't do is stay connected to one over WiFi.

Roo1
Topic Author

So basically, because my house isn't designed to correctly accommodate the locational quirks of any Sky Q box (currently on the third) then I cannot use all of the Sky functionality that I am paying for (ie. Digital Remote, etc)

@Roo1 

Realistically Q is a product from 2015 (released February 2016) which uses a very early iteration of a proprietary consumer wireless mesh, and was supposed to have built-in Powerline networking as well.

As it's no longer the product which Comcast wants to go forward, there's very unlikely to be any more development of it: Glass televisions and Stream pucks are simple WiFi clients with no mesh silicon.

Wiring all the Q television boxes to mesh nodes and disabling all Sky WiFi may be an alternative approach.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 3.6 hours

New Discussion