Discussion topic: Initial impressions - Not Great

This message was authored by Tommo621 This message was authored by: Tommo621

Initial impressions - Not Great

So, had Sky Glass arrive today, along with 2 pucks.

Delivery guys unboxed the TV, put it in place, and plugged it in, but that was about it.  No checking to make sure everything is working correctly, which we soon discovered after they'd left it wasn't.  As soon as we tried to go into a live channel, or a stream, all we got was a black screen.  Netflix was working okay, but none of the other channels.  So, phoned sky for assistance.  It turns out that a software update was needed before everything started working.  Not a very seemless process for set up...

We're going to give it a week or so, but after one night, are fairly disappointed with this product.  The main issues are:

* Stuttering of streaming content when playing (we have gigabit broadband, so it's not an issue with that).

* Sound going out of sync with the picture, sometimes by several minutes.

* Picture suddenly speeding up, looking like an old 1920's movie where the crank handle had been spun too fast.

* Watching Sky programmes is fairly good, and controlling playback, FF and Rewind etc is very similar to the Sky Q experience, BUT, for using catch-up on Terrestrial Channels, especially ITV, is a horrible experience.  You get thrown into ITV hub, and trying to FF or Rewind through programmes is an absolute car-crash, and really difficult.  If you accidentally press the wrong button and come out of the programme you're watching, when you go back into it it starts from the beginning again, including all of the adverts (all over again), then you have to try to FF to the point that you were at, and you can't see where you are as you press the FF (the picture doesn't carry on at speed so that you can see when you want to stop).  So far, this is the biggest downside, and not sure if we want to put up with this clunkiness.

* Signing into apps (BBC iPlayer, ITV hub, Netflix etc), has to be done on every device, so had to sign in to all of these apps on the Glass, then had to do it another two times over on each puck.  Can't understand why, if you've signed in to all of the on the Glass, why it can't recognise this on the pucks.

Basically, I don't think this product is really ready for the market yet, as there's too many issues that haven't been ironed out, and trying to use things like ITV hub on this device is just awful.

Will give it to the end of the week, but think we're going to be requesting to go back to Sky Q unfortunately.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by AaronC88 This message was authored by: AaronC88

Re: Initial impressions - Not Great

Mines due tomorrow. Not liking allot of what is now crawling out of the wood work. Basic things they stated it does it doesn't seem to. I'll try it for a week (maybe 2 if the missus doesn't pick fault and want it gone ASAP). If it doesn't meet expectations I may look into virgin360 as i kind of like the idea of their profiles feature (which you would have thaught sky would have done with glass)

This message was authored by SDR This message was authored by: SDR

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tommo621 @AaronC88 

I must say this looks any typical new system launch of a new product. I was a very early adopter of OnDigital, TUTV and BT Vision. They were all plagued by terrible problems. It's not a surprise to me but I do believe it will all get sorted out,

Stuart R
I am responsible for the content, but not the way it is presented, I have some sight issues
Auto-Correct is my enemy.
If this is your first post - Welcome
Sky Glass - No Puck
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Tommo621 wrote:

Basically, I don't think this product is really ready for the market yet, as there's too many issues that haven't been ironed out,

Too true, this was the same for Sky Q on release

This message was authored by AaronC88 This message was authored by: AaronC88

Yes most launches have some teething problems but for what this costs you would have thaught sky would have done some serious beta testing.  But it's also feels like it's been mis-sold.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Tommo621 wrote:

Can't understand why, if you've signed in to all of the on the Glass, why it can't recognise this on the pucks.

Presumably because you're signing into individual app instances on each item of Glass hardware, just as if you were using a tablet and a laptop. 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Tommo621 Panther are delivery guys full stop, they were never going to stick around to see if it works and Sky have never said they would.

All computerised equipment (Smart TVs, computers, mobiles etc.) will update when first switched on, that can hardly be unexpected.

You'd need to direct your ire at ITV for their hub, even if it is on Glass it's still very much their product (it's never been great either).

This message was authored by pblake80 This message was authored by: pblake80

I am in the same camp - Very Disappointed in the product so far after all the hype of being plug & Play and being seamless.  nothing seamless about it. especially the ITV Hub. 

Having always recorded all ITV Programmes on Sky Q I wanted to watch and fast forwarded through ADs. - I had no need to go to ITV hub so cannot compare to what I have now.

But now I am forced to - sign in, then what a nightmare to fast forward through the Ads - So much for having Ad Skip.  It has worked Ok on Channel 5 streamer in Glass not tried any others yet (Sky Programmes are (fine same as downloaded programmes on Sky Q - until recently).

The Fast Forward in ITV hub  is a blank screen with a progress bar - Fat forward does not work as with Sky Q - you have press fast Forward then the play button  then fast forwarded again a couple of time to go 6xx . the progress bar goes to the end for which I assume is one ad - keep going until you get a short one then press play you will e lucky if  you get to the programme in the right place.  An did you muck it up - it goes back the beginning of the programme and you have to sit there fast forwarding for 5 minutes + to get back to the right place - there are white markers along the progress bar that indicate ad breaks.  not always visible though.  There you are happily watching the programme then it crashes and you have to go back to the start all over again

However you are presented with a SD programme !!!!  Arggh!!!  Surley ITV Hub is not in SD in this day & Age?

Work Arounds anyone?   I thought of using my Dish and cables and get a Freesat box to record the ITV programmes and as back up for when the internet goes down (It will of course at the most unsuitable time won't it). But nothing cheap out there. 

So I thought I could use a Freeview Recorder Box I have with an USB stick as the recording device to record ITV in the Bedroom and play from that on Sky Glass - On No you can't  - the USB on Sky Glass is Power only.  (Another thing left off this device!) 

But found a HD freeview recorder box with HDMI output for £38 on Amazon which will do the trick.  Sad I  know but I'd sooner pay that as a one off than pay for ITV hub+ on a crap player with only SD.

I have  few more days yet before I decide if Sky Glass has a place in my home.  The Puck Set up was a nightmare also (another post on That)

This message was authored by Cornishrattler This message was authored by: Cornishrattler

After initially being impressed with it after coming from quite an old TV I have now come to the conclusion that it's a brushed aluminium box of **bleep**e. Called Sky earlier todat to request it's return. Getting a call back on Thursday at which time my Sky Q will be re-instated. I've no doubt it will get better but it has to get a whole lot better to be a viable future option.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@pblake80 wrote:

However you are presented with a SD programme !!!!  Arggh!!!  Surley ITV Hub is not in SD in this day & Age?

720p, apparently, so technically HD, but not really.

So I thought I could use a Freeview Recorder Box I have with an USB stick as the recording device to record ITV in the Bedroom and play from that on Sky Glass - On No you can't  - the USB on Sky Glass is Power only.  (Another thing left off this device!) 

The single USB-C on the rear of the Glass TV is for the motion-tracking camera accessory previewed at the launch event and due to arrive next year.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by GraemeBucknall77 This message was authored by: GraemeBucknall77

Same issue really 

sky Q is a lot better for watching catch up as not missing episodes or having to wait to watch something especially as it's recorded . ITV hub , all 4 bbc i player all miss certain episodes from married at first sight Aussie , gogglebox episodes latest , watched Ant n dec started great then internet crashed . Had to wait for it to go on catch up to carry on watching it . For me now I think I'll keep the tv but just connect my Q box back up 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion