Discussion topic: Sky Glass freezing

This message was authored by roobarb9 This message was authored by: roobarb9

Sky Glass freezing

Sky glass constantly freezing despite WiFi signal of 60mps or more 

turning it off at the socket provides temporary relief but just be a software issue

We pay a lot for this - not good enough 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Sky Glass freezing

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@roobarb9  Your not talking to Sky via the forum so you essentia;lly telling other customers it's not good enough.

Have you considered using ethernet to connect the TV to your router rather than wifi as wifi can be prone to signal issues.

Did you get the speed of your wifi from the netflix app speedtest?   Or are you quoting your actual line speed?

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Internet speed is only half the story. This is all the signs of weak and unstable WiFi signal.

The sky streaming platform requires a strong stable and consistent WiFi connection to works due to it having to be permanently connected to Skys servers. This means any WiFi interference or dropped packets will likely cause the device to crash.

The solutions to this are typically to improve your WiFi signal, for example setting up a mesh network, of by using Ethernet instead of WiFi. When using Ethernet you need to disable the WiFi from the network settings and also give the device a reboot (unplug for 1 minute) to ensure the WiFi is disabled. 

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

roobarb9
Topic Author

Router is too far away for a Ethernet connection. We can watch tv in our iPhones without any problem in the sane room. The issue is Sky Glass software. 

I know I'm not taking to Sky but they are not interested 

roobarb9
Topic Author

An Ethernet connection isn't possible 

no idea what mesh network is 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@roobarb9 wrote:

Router is too far away for a Ethernet connection. We can watch tv in our iPhones without any problem in the sane room. The issue is Sky Glass software. 

I know I'm not taking to Sky but they are not interested 

Unfortunately just because streaming works on an iPhone doesn't mean your WiFi signal is strong and consistent. When streaming from say YouTube or Netflix for example on a mobile device, that's streaming directly from your device and will locally buffer and load the content. This means that in situations where your WiFi signal may momentarily weaken or drop out you don't notice. Unfortunately with the sky streaming platform doing little locally and it requiring a connection to Skys servers to stream anything network issues will cause it to act in this way.

Where Ethernet isn't practical as the router isn't close to the TV, power line adapters are usually a good alternative. This is exactly how I have my Sky stream setup after suffering from similar issues when I first tried via WiFi.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

roobarb9
Topic Author

Given the money we pay, why should any of this be necessary? We abandoned the sky dish because any bad weather interfered with it

Doesnt help most  channels have gone HD which is pointless 

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@roobarb9 wrote:

Given the money we pay, why should any of this be necessary? We abandoned the sky dish because any bad weather interfered with it

Doesnt help most  channels have gone HD which is pointless 

A lot of ISP standard routers can be weaker with WiFi than some of the better models out there. That's where powerline adapters or mesh systems can be helpful. For the sake of troubleshooting can you move your sky stream box closer to the router temporarily and try an Ethernet cable or to see if the WiFi signal is more consistent ?

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by Lauralee678 This message was authored by: Lauralee678

So all the answers in this forum are rubbish. 

I have checked the WiFi signal with mine and my mothers. 

they are both turning over a loading sign.

the signals are strong. 

Never had the problem before and it's started on the same day. 

I have 900mb broadband and my router is next to my tv.

my mother had a similar setup with slower internet but enough that the signal had never dropped before. 

the problem is the interface and when people are paying a lot of money sky should be monitoring these forums.

@Sky

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Lauralee678 wrote:

So all the answers in this forum are rubbish. 

I have checked the WiFi signal with mine and my mothers. 

they are both turning over a loading sign.

the signals are strong. 

Never had the problem before and it's started on the same day. 

I have 900mb broadband and my router is next to my tv.

my mother had a similar setup with slower internet but enough that the signal had never dropped before. 

the problem is the interface and when people are paying a lot of money sky should be monitoring these forums.

@Sky

How have you checked the WiFi signal? 

To check what the Glass TV is actually receiving you need to run the network check from within the get help menu of the Netflix app. Not entirely intuitive, agreed, but in the absence of a proper network speed testing app, it's the only way to find out the network strength on the TV itself.

If your Glass TV is right next to your router you may be best connecting it with an ethernet cable and turning WiFi off on the TV's network settings. This can often help maintain a more stable connection. 

Also worthwhile performing a full reboot of the TV - turn it off at the wall for a few minutes then power it back on.  

This message was authored by Lauralee678 This message was authored by: Lauralee678

thank you 

however, we are paying a lot of money for this. This includes not having to plug a wire in. Otherwise, I wouldn't be using it. Obviously, I'm stuck in a contract now. So no way of getting out of it I assume.

i have checked wifi on the router and on other devices. I know it can differ. But it shouldn't be far off for a good quality tv. 

But anyway, in the end we're paying for a service and we should be getting the service we are paying for. 

@Sky

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

@Lauralee678 wrote:

thank you 

however, we are paying a lot of money for this. This includes not having to plug a wire in. Otherwise, I wouldn't be using it. Obviously, I'm stuck in a contract now. So no way of getting out of it I assume.

i have checked wifi on the router and on other devices. I know it can differ. But it shouldn't be far off for a good quality tv. 

But anyway, in the end we're paying for a service and we should be getting the service we are paying for. 

@Sky

I agree with you. That's why I got rid of Sky. 

You can submit a formal complaint if you are not happy with the service:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint 

Sky are generally quite good at trying to work with you to resolve service related issues. 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

@Lauralee678  If it helps I have read many posts on the forum from Stream/Glass subscribers who have successfully requested to return to Sky Q whilst still in contract.  However your Glass TV will be a separate contract where you have bought the Glass TV and have a repayment agreement which will not be cancelled.  You can however use Sky Q on the Glass TV.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"

Yeah,

problem is it's only my mum that has the tv. 

I have sky stream and my own tv.

same thing happening on both though 🤷‍♂️

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion