Discussion topic: Sky Glass freezing on adverts on recorded programmes

This message was authored by Blackey This message was authored by: Blackey

Sky Glass freezing on adverts on recorded programmes

Ever since I cancelled the "remove adverts" subscription on my Sky Glass TV the adverts continually freeze on any programmes that have been "recorded".

This does not happen while watching live TV so I don't believe it is a Wi-Fi issue. Our WiFi runs at 100 Mb.

i can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this. Is it a ploy to get customers to pay the extra £5 a month to remove adverts?

All Replies

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Re: Sky Glass freezing on adverts on recorded programmes

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @Blackey 

Sky don't offer ad removal, only ad skipping.:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ad-skipping-sky-glass

Without a the subscription, you should see the adverts, but you won't be able to fast forward them. Unlike traditional platforms, these adverts aren't recorded as part of the stream, they are inserted at the appropriate point, and these ads are tailored to you (think it's called adsmart) . 

It's clearly this that is having issues. I would try powering off your puck at the mains for a few minutes and trying playback again, also try removing and re-adding the content to your playlist and see if this helps.

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@mikealanr wrote:

Hi @Blackey 

Sky don't offer ad removal, only ad skipping.:

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ad-skipping-sky-glass

Without a the subscription, you should see the adverts, but you won't be able to fast forward them. Unlike traditional platforms, these adverts aren't recorded as part of the stream, they are inserted at the appropriate point, and these ads are tailored to you (think it's called adsmart) . 

This will depend on the source of the show being played back of course. If its from a catch-up service then it would use this technology, however if its a cloud recording that its just a recording of the live broadcast as it was shown on the channel. Since update QS25 more shows are being cloud recorded to cover the periods where they may not yet be available on a catch up app.

It's clearly this that is having issues. I would try powering off your puck at the mains for a few minutes and trying playback again, also try removing and re-adding the content to your playlist and see if this helps.

MikeAlanR

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Blackey
Topic Author
This message was authored by Blackey This message was authored by: Blackey

Yep tried powering off and no change.

Spent an hour on the phone with a Sky tech guy and still no change.

i think this is a known glitch which Sky are keeping quiet about. The Sky tech guy tried to get me signed up to a "free" ad skip trial period which I declined.

i can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this ???

This message was authored by mikealanr This message was authored by: mikealanr

Hi @Blackey 

If it was more widespread we would see an influx of posts on the forum. I guess the next step is to keep on to customer support or to complain as your not able to use the service you are paying for.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint

MikeAlanR

---
65” Sky Glass ocean blue, Sky Live, 4 streaming pucks and EE FTTP Busiest Home (circa 1.6 Gbps download). Former Sky Q, Sky+ HD and Sky+ customer.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion