Discussion topic: Plex App?

This message was authored by DaveMoses This message was authored by: DaveMoses

Plex App?

Hi Sky,

Just wondered if I could make a suggestion and add the 'Plex' App to Sky Stream/Glass if at all possible please? I love to use Sky and also watch my own media and it would be really handy if this couldbe added, rather than me having to plug my Amazon Fire Stick in each time.

Many thanks

Dave

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Plex App?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DaveMoses 

That's been suggested since Glass/Stream was launched (and on Q long before that).

Two main issues:

It's very unlikely Plex Inc could afford to pay Sky to provide technical support

The availability of less-than-legal content distributed into Plex is a problem on a platform for which Sky is responsible.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
DaveMoses
Topic Author
This message was authored by DaveMoses This message was authored by: DaveMoses

I see your point, but all responsibility is with the third party app, that's why we agree to them if we choose to install them?

Not a problem for Amazon, Samsung, Microsoft etc

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DaveMoses 

And that's why there's no such choice on a Sky operating system: Sky remains responsible for it, unlike those other systems.

This message was authored by techman9 This message was authored by: techman9

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@DaveMoses 

The availability of less-than-legal content distributed into Plex is a problem on a platform for which Sky is responsible.

Very disflamitary, people do not use plex for "less-than-legal" content Plex has a wealth of features that are all perfectly legal,   They have there own ad-based streaming service, pvr, excellent, Discover which allows you to create watchlists accross platforms.

Should really check out the product in detail before labelling it.

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

@techman9 

but plex is also used to distribute iptv and links to content that is in essence what sky broadcasts 

unlike all of the other apps on sky .......

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!

@Jporch316  Does it ?  You sure you are not thinking of Kodi ?

This message was authored by Jporch316 This message was authored by: Jporch316

No defo plex 

you can link it to other peoples media servers - for example if your mate got tons of blu ray movie rips on a plex server in his house he can setup a link so that you can access his account 

multiply this on a large scale and suddenly it's eating into skys revenue 

——————————————————————————
43inch and 55 inch Sky Glass & 3 Pucks on virgin media M350 hub 5x. 4 x sky mobile sims. Pretend guitar aficionado .. rock on!
This message was authored by stereohaven This message was authored by: stereohaven

Personally I wouldn't use Plex on any hardware provided by Sky, based on the poor performance of literally every single app they already have on their platforms.

Perhaps ironically (to me at least), I don't know anyone that uses Plex for nefarious purposes, tends to be more home cinema and audio enthusiasts who have the physical copy of media in a rack but use Plex to serve up a digital version in a full quality MKV around the home.

Those I know who Sky should worry about for being naughty, all use a fire stick with built in VPN or have US accounts and a router based VPN to watch football or HBO Max.

I don't see a point for Sky to add it for reasons mentioned above or for anyone that uses Plex to want them to, it would 100% be total pants.

-------------------------

LG B6 OLED | Sky Q | BT Smart Hub 2 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One S

@stereohaven  Totally agree with everything you said 🙂

I guess my point is that just because I use Plex does not automatically mean I am doing something illegal.

This message was authored by Suskha This message was authored by: Suskha

@techman9 wrote:

Should really check out the product in detail before labelling it.

You should take your own advice here, @TimmyBGood is clearly correct and your response was neither necessary or informed. 🤡

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

@stereohaven wrote:

it would 100% be total pants.

Exactly this. The Stream pucks struggle to play 1080p at the best of times, never mind a 100GB 4K HDR Blu-ray rip. They only have a 100mbps NIC for a start, I never use anything with less than gigabit for my Plex media players. 

@ChrisC29 wrote:
I never use anything with less than gigabit for my Plex media players. 

I'm not aware of a media encoding format which requires more than 100Mbs for UHD: if there is one then it's grossly inefficient.

The pucks may well 'struggle' but that's not due to lack of wired bandwidth.

This message was authored by ChrisC29 This message was authored by: ChrisC29

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@ChrisC29 wrote:
I never use anything with less than gigabit for my Plex media players. 

I'm struggling to imagine a media encoding format which requires more than 100Mbs for UHD.

The pucks may 'struggle' but that's not due to lack of wired bandwidth.

Never said the pucks struggle because of bandwidth.

What I am saying is that if you were to start streaming full 4K HDR Blu-ray rips (which is the legitimate use for Plex) then bandwidth would definitely become a factor. The UHD Sky streams is good quality, but is still compressed and doesn't require anywhere near the bandwidth it takes to stream Blu-ray rips at full quality, like I say, the file sizes can be 100GB. 100GB at 100mbps is over 2 hours, so any movie under 2 hours long and 100GB in size is going to buffer, hence why gigabit is best if you like your 4K (true 4K) content.

@ChrisC29 

Only if the client device was buffering the whole movie, which is rather unlikely (and impossible for one with limited local storage). Having a 100Mbs chipset might be an issue for file transfer, certainly,  but a Stream puck is never going to be doing that.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion