0

Discussion topic: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Reply
This message was authored by mrwwt This message was authored by: mrwwt

New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Coming with Entertainment OS 1.3 update: https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/article/entertainment-os-on-sky-keeps-getting-smarter-thanks-to-cleve...

 

People knock Sky a lot on here but credit where credit's due – Sky Glass isn't a new product any more and they're still improving it and adding features. For free.

Reply

All Replies

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Both my Sky Glass and Pucks have been updated to OS 1.3

 

I don't have a games console connected to my Sky Glass so don't know if Auto Game Mode is enabled yet.

 

I not had a chance yet to see if anything new is enabled or test if update causes any new issues.

 

Note

Some new features might not be enabled yet even if you get new OS or firmware updates they can be enabled at a later date.

 

Also updates are rolled out in batches so some customers get updates before other customers

I get updates early.

 

If you not got update yet it will happen in June or July 

 

Entertainment OS 1.3

Build Version QS028.516.OOP

IMG_0343.jpeg

 

 

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features


@mrwwt wrote:

Coming with Entertainment OS 1.3 update: https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/article/entertainment-os-on-sky-keeps-getting-smarter-thanks-to-cleve...

 

People knock Sky a lot on here but credit where credit's due – Sky Glass isn't a new product any more and they're still improving it and adding features. For free.


Like all TV manufacturers do, not just Sky. Nobody pays for a firmware update on their TV, be it a Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, HiSense or whatever. It's really not a big deal. Nobody deserves a round of applause. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Paul+Boland wrote:

Both my Sky Glass and Pucks have been updated to OS 1.3

 

I don't have a games console connected to my Sky Glass so don't know if Auto Game Mode is enabled yet.

 

I not had a chance yet to see if anything new is enabled or test if update causes any new issues.

 

Note

Some new features might not be enabled yet even if you get new OS or firmware updates they can be enabled at a later date.

 

Also updates are rolled out in batches so some customers get updates before other customers

I get updates early.

 

If you not got update yet it will happen in June or July 

 

Entertainment OS 1.3

Build Version QS028.516.OOP

IMG_0343.jpeg

 

 


@Paul+Boland one of the new a(nd highly requested) features you will notice is a "restart" button, which is along side the Refresh App button in the Settings. It negates the need for customers to have to turn it off at the plug now for a reboot which is a big improvement.



Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue


NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features


@MarkGoldsmith wrote:


@Paul+Boland one of the new a(nd highly requested) features you will notice is a "restart" button, which is along side the Refresh App button in the Settings. It negates the need for customers to have to turn it off at the plug now for a reboot which is a big improvement.

Highly requested and much needed restart button! 

It should have been on the OS from day 1 really, but better late than never. 

This message was authored by Paul+Boland This message was authored by: Paul+Boland

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

I just tested the restart function from menu on the sky stream puck

 

Note

It takes lot longer to power back on compared to using power plug method 

As in it take about 3 min using restart feature.to get to home screen menu

‐-----‐----------------‐-------------------------------------
Sky Glass 65 inch and 2 Sky Stream Pucks
Gigabit Siro 100% Fiber Broadband with Digiweb
1000 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload speed
I only use wired ethernet with Sky Glass and Sky Stream Pucks
This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features


@Paul+Boland wrote:

I just tested the restart function from menu on the sky stream puck

 

Note

It takes lot longer to power back on compared to using power plug method 

As in it take about 3 min using restart feature.to get to home screen menu


3 minutes??? What is it doing in that time? 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Yeah, so it shuts down immediately and then takes about 2 minutes to start back up, so the screen is blank for about 2 minutes before you see the white Sky logo. My guess is they have built in a sleep timer into the restart code in order for it to actually reboot properly as we have seen times where customers turn it off and on at the plug quite quickly and it doesn't do a full reboot and their problem still persists



Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue


NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by FMUK This message was authored by: FMUK

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Not really "for free" !

This message was authored by Padam_Padam This message was authored by: Padam_Padam

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features


@FMUK wrote:

Not really "for free" !


Exactly. Customers need to stop believing all this marketing flim flam. 

It's just a software update for a television. Just because it's Sky's first (and only) TV, they seem intent on throwing a party and making a real song and dance about every little update to the Entertainment OS. 

As I mentioned earlier, it's been standard practise for every TV manufacturer for over a decade to send out OS and firmware updates "for free", it's nothing new and nothing worth getting overly excited about. 

The "raft of new updates" in OS1.3 as Sky term it, are really not going to transform anyone's experience of Sky Glass/Stream. It's just a few little tweaks which should hopefully improve the viewing experience for customers.

So everyone, including Sky, need to calm down about it.  

mrwwt
Topic Author
This message was authored by mrwwt This message was authored by: mrwwt

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features


@FMUK wrote:

Not really "for free" !


How much are you paying for the update then?

 

 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mrwwt wrote:

@FMUK wrote:

Not really "for free" !


How much are you paying for the update then?

 

 


If you look at the hybrid/electric car industry there are certain software updates (e.g to their built in satnav, which is included but then not updated unless paid for) where manufacturers do indeed charge for them and aren't included free



Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue


NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: New Sky Glass and Sky Stream features

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Given ALLM is part of the HDMI 2.1 specification: it's perhaps somewhat puzzling that this has taken 30 months to arrive...

* * * * * * *

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Reply

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion