Discussion topic: Unable to login into Sky.com on chrome

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

Re: Unable to login into Sky.com on chrome

@Annie+UK wrote:

@fizzdisco wrote:

@Annie+UK wrote:

Have you tried disabling ALL chrome extensions?

You are a GENIUS. Just tried that and it now works! How strange. I'll try turning them back on one by one and find the culprit... 

Thanks v. much!

Na, I'm just good at logical problem solving, you said pointed me to the conclusion of the possible cause 🙂

Give us a shout when you identify the culprit 🙂

Seems to be this:

https://duckduckgo.com/ 

I'd installed it yonks ago to stop being pestered with ads. It seems they may have upped some kind of privacy trackers in the last few days which may explain the change: https://spreadprivacy.com/more-privacy-and-transparency/ 

JamPV
Topic Author
This message was authored by JamPV This message was authored by: JamPV

Thanks @Annie+UK @fizzdisco for your replies.  It was duckduckgo that did for me as well.  I've switched it off now and I can login as normal. 

Appreciate your help on this.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JamPV wrote:

Thanks @Annie+UK @fizzdisco for your replies.  It was duckduckgo that did for me as well.  I've switched it off now and I can login as normal. 

Appreciate your help on this.

Cool, maybe a slight tweaking of the Extension or replacing it for another will be the permanent solution

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by gdggd This message was authored by: gdggd

Re: Unable to login into Sky.com on chrome / Opera

@fizzdisco

Sorry decided to re-post, as previous message for some reason the whole post was treated as a link and got truncated: -

I have been plagued with same Error 298.

I have read your (fizzdisco's) helpful suggested article in this thread 'More Privacy and Transparency for DuckDuckGo Web Tracking Protections'

https://spreadprivacy.com/more-privacy-and-transparency/

Gabriel Weinber seems quite proud of his new security measure, but is he doing anything about Duckduckgo's new tracker feature in way of a fix? I cannot imagine he wants everyone to switch to another search engine? And such a loss for all Users, are we to return to the old devil 'Google Search'.

Everyone so far in this thread understandably relieved to get back into their email accounts etc. but has anyone got any info on what Duckduckgo intend doing about this issue? Wikipedia search is pretty limited and I dont want to use Bing or Google....

Ah my error!! I realise now I can still keep DuckDuckGo as my default Search Engine in Opera. I just have to disable the @DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials (Version 2022.6.27) extension to prevent the Error289 occuring.

My mistake!

But this leads to query "What will I be missing out on security wise by not having the Privacy Essentials working anymore?"

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@gdggd wrote:

But this leads to query "What will I be missing out on security wise by not having the Privacy Essentials working anymore?"

I Iimagine that's covered in the article you linked to. 

Brave (a derivative of Chrome) is another browser which incorporates all manner of tracker protection natively, and is a right pain, because it makes logging in to ,an websites, mainly financial sites but also Sky.com very slow.

@Mark39

Thanks Mark39 for reply.  😎 I will take a look at Brave.

All I know about DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials Extension for Opera was that it was meant to give me the following (as per their sales advert): -  "Browse as usual, and we’ll take care of the rest. Get bundled private search, tracker blocking, and site encryption, all in one download".

However this link does explain more

https://help.duckduckgo.com/privacy/web-tracking-protections/

Opera has an Option "Send a "Do Not Track" request with your browsing traffic" which I always had selected as 'On'.   Opera quote: "Enabling "Do Not Track" means that a request will be included with your browsing traffic. Any effect depends on whether a website responds to the request, and how the request is interpreted. For example, some websites may respond to this request by showing you ads that aren't based on other websites you've visited. Many websites will still collect and use your browsing data - for example to improve security, to provide content, services, ads and recommendations on their websites, and to generate reporting statistics."

Therefore, I do not believe this to perform the same function as DuckDuckGo's Privacy Essentials, which was meant to actively block browser tracking.

As a total novice to these issues, I suppose all I can do is try and monitor if I am being targeted more frequently with unwanted material now that the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials is disabled. As for site encryption, I would assume Opera has built in encryption anyhow, but I would not know where to start in assessing the difference in protection levels between the two.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Has anyone used the "Report Broken Site" link within the app?

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@Annie+UK wrote:

Has anyone used the "Report Broken Site" link within the app?

Good point. I've just reported it via the link on the Chrome extension. 

This message was authored by Rockett This message was authored by: Rockett

I turned off (DuckDuckGo) and could log in OK but I use Firefox hope this helps.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 7 hours

New Discussion