Discussion topic: What SMTP settings to use?

This message was authored by FlamingDazzler This message was authored by: FlamingDazzler

What SMTP settings to use?

I've set up a "send only email address" in the Sky/Yahoo email settings and verified the email address.

I've got the SMTP server settings as tls://smtp.tools.sky.com, port 587 which seems to be right as my mail client is making a connection.

However, whatever I put in for the authentication details, the sending fails with an authentication error.

For the username, do I use the email address I'm sending from (e m a i l @ m y d o m a i n . c o m) or my sky email address (u s e r @ s k y . c o m) or just my sky username (which is the same as the user part of the email address). In all cases, I'm entering my sky login password for the SMTP password as I don't have any other password to try. All cases result in an authentication error, so what user/password combination am I supposed to use?

*wouldn't let me post without spacing out the email addresses*

Thanks.

Best Answers
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Re: What SMTP settings to use?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Are you using Outlook as you might need to generate yourself a 16 digit password and use this instead of your usual email password:

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

These are the SMTP settings:

Server - smtp.tools.sky.com
Port - 465
Requires SSL - Yes
Requires authentication - Yes

Your username is your full Sky email address with the @Sky.com part.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
FlamingDazzler
Topic Author
This message was authored by FlamingDazzler This message was authored by: FlamingDazzler

Thanks. I'm still seeing authentication errors with those settings.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome Answer

Are you using Outlook as you might need to generate yourself a 16 digit password and use this instead of your usual email password:

https://www.sky.com/sky-yahoo-mail/manage-apps?client=email

FlamingDazzler
Topic Author

That worked. Thanks. They could have signposted the app password thing somewhere.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

@FlamingDazzler wrote:

That worked. Thanks. They could have signposted the app password thing somewhere.

They do: Accessing your Sky Yahoo Mail | Sky Help | Sky.com

jayach_0-1649693503744.png

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion