Discussion topic: Verification texts

This message was authored by Jo36574 This message was authored by: Jo36574

Verification texts

Over the last2 days, I have received  8 texts with a different verification code with expiration in 10 minutes. Why? I have not requested a code. So can anyone explain please.?

many Thanks Jo

Best Answers
Jo36574
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jo36574 This message was authored by: Jo36574 Answer

Re: Verification texts

@caesarome Thankyou. That is a relief that they can't access! 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Do you use Sky Yahoo Mail? It sounds as though you have set up 2 step verification. The texts are sent when someone is trying to log in to your account

Jo36574
Topic Author

Thanks for reply.
I do have a yahoo account but not accessed or requested access either. Not even been around email when text message came through at various times. So a bit confused. 

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

So you do have a Sky email account as it might be that someone out there is trying to get into it hence this verification texts being sent to your phone so as you have this setup they will not get access to the account.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can

Yahoo Mail? Or Sky Yahoo Mail? They're not the same. 

You wouldn't be the first to have set up 2 step verification without realising. You can,check by logging in here: https://www.sky.com/signin/email

If so, and if you're not trying to log in to your email account when these verification texts are sent, it's an indication that somebody else is.

Jo36574
Topic Author

@Mark39 Thankyou, I've checked and I definitely haven't tried myself. So someone else is trying to and it's no one in my family. Do you know if we can find out who or where?

Jo36574
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jo36574 This message was authored by: Jo36574 Answer

@caesarome Thankyou. That is a relief that they can't access! 

If your email account is Yahoo and not Sky then see if this helps:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2073.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________
This message was authored by Davy_C This message was authored by: Davy_C

My daughter can't get into her email. The verification code is being sent to *******221......her number ends in 483. No one at Sky or Yahoo appear to be able to check these details....I assume this is why people are receiving codes and people are locked out 

@Davy_C wrote:

My daughter can't get into her email. The verification code is being sent to *******221......her number ends in 483. No one at Sky or Yahoo appear to be able to check these details....I assume this is why people are receiving codes and people are locked out 

No, I doubt that's the cause of the spate of Locked Account isssues being reported. The Verification Code is sent to the mobile number your daughter entered when she set up 2 step verification, and was confirmed at that time by her receiving a text from Sky.

@Davy_C 

If your daughter has changed her number since activating this then she needs to update it. To do this she should have made a note of the recovery code that was shown onscreen when she did first activate two step authentication, she needs to use this by selecting "can't sign in with code" option then sign in with the recovery code. Now next time she tries to access her emails it should ask her to set it up again which she can do with her new mobile number.

This message was authored by Jordans1970s This message was authored by: Jordans1970s

Having this exact issue! I have set up security so I get these texts when I want to log in but I am getting them when I haven't and some are in the early hours of the morning! Came in here to contact Sky to find out what happening. Not nice situation!

This message was authored by Jordans1970s This message was authored by: Jordans1970s

Re: Verification codes not requested

Should I change password??

@Jordans1970s you're not contacting Sky here, I'm afraid,  we're a customer Community. Verification texts are sent when someone is trying to log in to your account. If it's not you, it's someone else. I'm suggest changing your password. Make sure you use a strong password - not a word you might find in a dictionary, for example. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion