Discussion topic: Possible Hacking - would like to remove app password

This message was authored by GoukiMaster This message was authored by: GoukiMaster

Re: Possible Hacking - would like to remove app password

I am currently on hold again...

I was informed that it was a decision by important people at Sky to remove the abilty to manage existing app passwords as customers were complaining of email access breaches....

I have ever, ever, ever so gently informed the CSR that an app password will work until revoked, and that if I have a security breach, I could change my password 100 times but that app password will still work...

This is why I am on hold again.

I dont think it will come to a positive conclusion on this one phone call...

This message was authored by GoukiMaster This message was authored by: GoukiMaster

Hello all.

I sould have recorded the call so I could transcribe the contents.

So, bottom line;

WE HAVE REMOVED YOUR ACCESS TO MANAGE YOUR EXISTING PASSWORDS, AND THATS THAT.

I have left the CSR with the following in regards to how this is unnacceptable:

"What if I lose my laptop / it is stolen, andhas Outlook on it, which has an app password? Am I going to give this thief unfettered full access to my email forevermore? Changing my password won't kick them out; how do I remove access?"

The operator was a good bloke, he said he will feed this back again, and request that someone posts a statement here, by a SuperUser regarding this.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm too steaming at the moment, not with the CSR, but with the higher ups who declared that this is the way its going to be now.

This message was authored by jayach This message was authored by: jayach

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GoukiMaster wrote:

Link to a new post regarding this being a deliberate action.

Looks like someone has joined your new thread (if that is what you started ) back into this one.

What you are being told doesn't, as you say, make sense.

Not being able to remove app password is a security risk.

I can't see how being able to remove/rescind an app password is a security risk.

A previous poster complained that they hit a limit on the number of app passwords they could create, but they seemed to be creating new ones frequently.

As previously mentioned, you can see your existing app passwords through the Yahoo portal, however you still cannot delete them from there. It is currently Sky's responsibilty to allow access to manage App Passwords.

Sky 5a.jpg

The 'delete app password' button does NOTHING on the Yahoo portal, it just refreshes the Recent Activity page into the Security page.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion