Discussion topic: slow broabdband since outage

This message was authored by anaphylaxis This message was authored by: anaphylaxis

slow broabdband since outage

This is just like a dejavu but anyone else experiencing slow broadband speed since the outage in Sep? This happened last year in May and in a quite lengthy post many users complained this, with sky not admitting any fault on their side. In the end, @Mark-Br managed to escalate and they found and  "fixed" something and speed came back up to normal. Now I tried to find the very post but it has been conveniently deleted. The symptom and the circumstances in which this speed drop is too similar to what happened last year to be just coincidence.

I am on Ultrafast1 with supposed speed of 150mbps, but getting 80mbps since the outage.

I won't bother contacting sky as I will be treated like an idiot again... Maybe time to leave sky after all...

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: slow broabdband since outage

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@anaphylaxis wrote:

Now I tried to find the very post but it has been conveniently deleted. 

That thread will have been archived due to its inactivity. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@anaphylaxis can you post your hub's connection stats so forum members can see if they can see your issue. See Find your Sky Broadband router statistics

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
anaphylaxis
Topic Author
This message was authored by anaphylaxis This message was authored by: anaphylaxis

Hi, the stats is attached below...

Since I reset the ONT, SR203 and the booster, the speed has gradually returned back to normal but this was also the case last year. I will check the speed for the next week and see if it slows down again. In any case, if you could have a look at the stats and something doesnt look right please let me know what I can do to resolve.

IMG_0560.jpeg

This message was authored by Jds1234 This message was authored by: Jds1234

hi,

i had this same problem, after sep outage,  i was also getting around 80-83mb/s like you are experiencing. and do ya know what fixed it for me ?

Desktop/laptop PC ethernet drivers settings.

If you have any of the realtek family controller  style ethernet drivers(any realtek ethernet really), enable all your "gigabit" settings, or simular to it. after doing this restart , your router, then hard restart/re-boot your desktop/laptop PCs, after changing these settings. you might see the right speed come back. this is what fixed my problem. it also sped my desktop PC up a bit faster too. 

Ever since this, i get 150-152mb/s speeds.

speed testspeed test

anaphylaxis
Topic Author

Now the speed has dropped to 40-50mbps.

I don't normally use Windows machine, and when I looked for that gigabit option under network setting, I cannot seem to find it....

This is currently the stats from the router:

Capture.JPG

@anaphylaxis 

what type of devices do you use ? pardon me, just curious...

Linux usually has no/or little router problems..if its linux.

anaphylaxis
Topic Author

I have a few raspberry pis, but mainly mac and ipad/iphones (all wifi). I do have a Windows machine which I tried to connect via ethernet cable, but no improvement on speed. I could not find any settings to select gigabit option, but the adaptor setting suggest it was gigabit anyway.

Speed test is still fluctuating, anything between 40 to 80mbps. One interesting observation is that with VPN, I am getting >100mbps (depending on VPN servers I connect to, I even got 140mbps on wifi on VPN at a spot in the house furtherest from the router), seem to rule out any fault on line. Hence I think I am quite happy to believe SKY is throttling customers and blaming on customers for having too many wifi connections etc...

Instead of complaining to SKY, I may invest in VPN quotas and then just leave when the contract is up.. Have had enough of this...

@anaphylaxis 

in the windows advanced router settings, there is  a "speed duplex" option, with a 1.0gb, 100mb,  smaller options, 1.0gb option is best for speeds higher than 100mb/s usually, this should correct the speed. I will run a test here, if my speed changes, after disabling "gigabit" or speed duplex.and report back.

raspberry pis? very basic, no wonder, lack of settings.

@anaphylaxis 

i found out, in the advanced ethernet settings. by setting "auto disable gigabit" from DISABLED, to re-link, battery,  or AC option , my internet speed does report a dip to under 100mb/s, i got a 76 - 94mb/s report speed, with setting DISABLED, or  re-link, battery option, my speed returns back 150mb/s. It has nothing to do with the speed duplex option, doesn't effect the speed, i was wrong.

i think this is for mainly windows machines,  unfortuntely.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@anaphylaxis dont know how you think Sky are throttling speeds if the a VPN connection is not affected - data is data whether within its going to a VPN or not. Speedtest sites are aware when there are issues with throughput and havent seen snything pointing a finger at Sky. 

Measuring speeds on a fibre connection has to be done under controlled conditions with one device connected directly by gigabit ethernet link. You are correct there was an issue last year caused by malfunctioning servers the forum had numerous reports and while there are a few currently most have been traced back to network issues in the customers home which are far more common. Hence the need to eliminate those before we can get Sky to take the reports seriously which is what the forum superusers did last year. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
anaphylaxis
Topic Author

So what would you suggest I do to diagnose this further please? I am suspecting possible throttling as I am using exactly the same device to get rough idea of my bandwidth. I don't understand how I can get faster on vpn than non vpn. Also this is not my main point, but just to provide another information about the symptoms. I do not wish to dwell the argument on using vpn. As it is, I am struggling to get 100mbps. I am aware getting exact speed tested is not easy, but I just want to be assured that under normal use (over wifi, no gaming etc) that I am getting roughly min speed guarantee of 100mbps. And at the moment I am not convinced, and I am not sure what else to look at internally (in terms of my setting) as nothing has changed but the speed drop was noticeable since outage a few weeks ago.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion