Discussion topic: need to move router to different room

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Re: need to move router to different room

As I said its pretty straightforward to fix. If you do have issues getting Sky to arrange a fix then Kitz' site (as always) has some decent (if dated in this case) info :

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

All that comes into the house from BT is an "A" and "B" wire. Those are the wires the engineer would have spliced (gel crimp usually) into the cable which goes to the bedroom.

There may be an additional ring wire (and probably is in your case) on older installations but that's purely internal and isn't required for any reason these days.

Again, this isn't something I am advocating but ISPs (not just Sky) aren't usually interested in carrying out this work as there's nothing in it for them.

RicKMalzeard
Topic Author
This message was authored by RicKMalzeard This message was authored by: RicKMalzeard

Re: need to move router to different room

Just got off the phone with Sky tech support.   After some explaining (and use of the terms you fellas provided), they understood the situation.   The tech put me on hold to chat with someone else for a few minutes ...result Sky tech is confident the BT Master Socker will still be functional and is sending a "conversion kit" free of charge, which will include a microfilter.   

If router works from master socket/microfilter, no need for an Engineer to come out and I'll have my electrician de-install the extension as part of the kitchen refurb (or I'll do that myself).

If router doesn't work, then will call them back and they'll send out the Engineer and I'll pay the fee.

Since the remodel work isn't happening til Feb, we have some time to play this out.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion