Discussion topic: fttp install

This message was authored by Ransnap This message was authored by: Ransnap

fttp install

My order has been delayed which isn't a problem.

Openreach came round yesterday and advised on work needed {nothing major}.

Sky now have a note on my order saying there is a problem and to contact them to reactivate.

Openreach didn't think there were any issues and marked the ground outside.

Why do I have to contact Sky if  Openreach have done an initial visit.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: fttp install

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ransnap 

Contact might be required just as part of the process by which the ISP keeps you informed of progress and potential obstacles.  'Marked the ground outside' implies duct work, which can have all sorts of complications and delays.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Ransnap
Topic Author

Ok. Thanks, will contact Sky.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Ransnap having just had my own FTTP install that request is simply Openreach have updated the order with Sky. In my case I knew more than the Sky rep did having like you chattted to the engineer. In the end the direct contact with Openreach who texted and called me to arrange times for the various bits of work and were the most accurate information. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Ransnap
Topic Author

Openreach said work may start in about 2 weeks, and indicated after Xmas.

They will need to dig road at top of garden and lay cable under the lawn to the house.

Not seen as an issue for them.

Spoke to Sky who said there was a delay with their engineer to fit the ONT, and would keep me updated.

Appears that they are waiting for Openreach to complete first.

This message was authored by Kenny+Rankin This message was authored by: Kenny+Rankin

I had a similar experience with OR. The engineer who did the survey found there were no ducts  - he arranged for a civils team to lay ducts. My Sky order was updated with a new install date. Around two weeks later OR dug a trench from the manhole along the pavement and edge of my lawn, then laid a new duct with a rope. OR then came back and completed the job, pulling through the fibre and running it into my house. They did a great job, I was pleasantly surprised at their.willingness to lay a duct - two days of digging work. 

—————————————————————————————————-Sky Stream, Sky Gigafast Broadband with SR203 Hub
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Ransnap similar story for me. An engineer did a survey sprayed loads of white marking paint. The "dig tem" turned up we had a chat and they discovered there was a duct they could use to the distribution point the suvey had missed which saved them half a days work.

They laid a micro duct down the side of my house and very neatly sawed a slot in the path and made good. Couple of weeks later the fibre team came pulled the fibre from the distribution point to the pavement point and then pushed the cable down the micro duct - the cable is reinforced with kevlar  - and fitted a customer service point on the wall outside where we wanted the install. . 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Ransnap
Topic Author

Thanks everyone.

Good info there.

I think they may need to dig in the road to lay a trench as the main duct (CBT) is about 50m away.

Then dig across the garden to the house.

No problem for me, just waiting for Openreach now.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion