Discussion topic: faster broadband from the old box

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: faster broadband from the old box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@2+slices+of+ham 

Switching ISP would get you whatever their current router is, but no better speed if there's nothing but ADSL available at the address (which is now pretty rare)

The BT Wholesale Availability Checker will show what's available from any ISP on the Openreach network.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
2+slices+of+ham
Topic Author
This message was authored by 2+slices+of+ham This message was authored by: 2+slices+of+ham

I think where i live every address has a standard fibre connection available but it is owned by virgin

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@2+slices+of+ham 

Only a subscription with Virgin Media can get you an internet connection (and television services) over Virgin coaxial or fibre-optic cable: they own and lay their own private network infrastructure which ISPs like Sky and BT have no access to.

The wholesale checker I linked to above won't show Virgin availability, but does indicate what other ISPs can provide.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion