Discussion topic: ethernet

This message was authored by Emily50 This message was authored by: Emily50

ethernet

I don't understand how this works but I have 2 ethernet plugs one goes into the back of my wifi and the other is in my room plugged into my pc usually I'm assuming they connect without having to use a 50m cable but on the actual ethernet plug itself all the lights are green ( ethernet and power) but one which is the data and that one isn't showing up as green and I don't know how to fix it. neither of the data lights is showing up (the one plugged into my wifi and the one plugged into my PC) Sky is the wifi provider and I'm using BT ethernet plugs if that's the issue why? I've had them for over 4years and had no issues with them before, I usually wouldn't care but the wifi is so slow and unpredictable and stops working at random moments when i use my ethernet the wifi is great and have no issues which are why i need this fixed I also use the ethernet because otherwise when trying to play games like (valorant, R6 or The finals) my ping skyrockets into the 100s but when using ethernet it stays down between 8-13

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: ethernet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Emily50 

'BT ethernet plugs' are standard PLC adapters.  such devices tend to be sensitive to local current, and so it's possible either end (or both) has just fried and died, perhaps related to recent storms.

Somewhere on the BT website there's probably a support page indicating how to carry out a hardware reset: if that (and the usual unplug/replug/re-seat connections doesn't work) then the only real option is to purchase a replacement pair.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Emily50
Topic Author
This message was authored by Emily50 This message was authored by: Emily50

Re: ethernet

@TimmyBGood 

It was working last night till around 2:45 am when the internet and voice on the actual wifi box was orange but the internet was still working on devices like my iPad but not my Xbox and i was able to use the ethernet at that time on my pc as well so it would only work for some devices but not others either and i woke up this morning to it not working at all for anything but the wifi and voice are both green and working on all devices (slow but still working)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion