Discussion topic: can I use my own router with essentials plus

This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

can I use my own router with essentials plus

I have signed up to sky broadband essentials plus and was wondering can I use my own router or do I have to use the sky supplied one because I would like not to have to use a router that looks like a sky Q box especially when I use sky+ boxes and dont want to be reminded of sky Q 😂

==============================
= Sky+ SD boxes x4 (pace bskyb 3100) ===

Best Answers
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

Re: can I use my own router with essentials plus

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HeathHayle wrote:

I have signed up to sky broadband essentials plus and was wondering can I use my own router or do I have to use the sky supplied one because I would like not to have to use a router that looks like a sky Q box especially when I use sky+ boxes and dont want to be reminded of sky Q 😂

As far as I know there is no requirement to use Skys own router, but in case of faults may need to use it for router stats etc.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1 Answer

@HeathHayle wrote:

As far as I know there is no requirement to use Skys own router, but in case of faults may need to use it for router stats etc.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@HeathHayle 

Most routers will be compatible with pppoa but not superfast dhcp option 61

Settings for sky essentials should still be

For ADSL2+

Username: install at o2broadband.co.uk (the at needs changing to @ and spaces removed)

Password: Leave blank
Connection Type: PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@HeathHayle 

In other words when you move to superfast or ultrafast you may need to change

If you could post your router stats

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

And enter your full postal address below and post the table we could advise of a router that would see you thru the upcoming changes

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

HeathHayle
Topic Author
This message was authored by HeathHayle This message was authored by: HeathHayle

great thanks guys I was hoping you was going to say I could use my own kit

HeathHayle
Topic Author

got another sky essentials plus question though I would use the same thread could I use a ADSL 1 USB modem with essentials plus I was thinking about using a speedtouch 330 or do you have to use ASDL 2+ devices?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@HeathHayle 

Needs to be ADSL2+ unless you want really bad speeds. Also why would you use a 10+ year old device that has been compromised by security tests in the past?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
HeathHayle
Topic Author

@jamesn123 I didnt know if essentials plus was a ADSL 2+ only service so would ADSL 1 devices work then just at lower speeds? I didnt know anout security issues with the speedtouch 330

@HeathHayle 

Enter your full postal address below and post the table to see the difference. Adsl could well be 1/2 the speed of adsl2+

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

HeathHayle
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk what I am trying to work out is if essentials plus is a ADSL 2+ service only

@HeathHayle 

There's no info that we have about whether its an ADSL2+ only service because you are probably the only person to ever ask that or at least in recent history 🤣

"In 2002 San Diego Supercomputer Center of the University of California reported their testing of Alcatel SpeedTouch devices that identified multiple security issues."

I am NOT a Sky Employee

From what info I can see the speedtouch 330 is limited to 7mbps down max. Why pay for a service that could be capable of up to 24mbps but then limit yourself to 7?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
HeathHayle
Topic Author

@jamesn123 sky are saying I will get 9.7 mbps so I would only be losing 2.9 mbps

@HeathHayle 

I would assume that since the exchange uses various vectoring technologies to increase the speed if the modem doesn't also support those vectoring protocols then it will just operate as standard adsl.  But again as @jamesn123 states it is something we  seldom get asked.  

@HeathHayle 

When did sky say you'll get 9. Do you mean the bt checker ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion