Discussion topic: broadband

This message was authored by HOVERCOL This message was authored by: HOVERCOL

broadband

can someone please help i am looking for what speed checker sky use just upgraded to sky fiber I don't think I am getting the speed they had promised me. Your speed test has finished. Your ping result is 19. Your jitter result is 52. Your download result is 34.0 Mbps. Your upload result is 27.1 Mbps. Test results PING 19 ms JITTER 52 ms DOWNLOAD 34.0 Mbps UPLOAD 27.1 Mbps i shud be getting 145 Mbps can someone please help or addvice
Colin
Hover

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: broadba

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HOVERCOL with full fibre services there is no way to directlu measure the speed to your hub unlike services delivered over copper so tests run on a device is all we have.. rarelybthere can be issues at Sky's end but more commonly the restriction is in the customer's home network.

The speedtests you run on your devices measure the slowest part of the link which can often be the speed of your home network especially if you use a device connected by wifi. Therefore it is more important to test using a device connected by a known fast connection which is normally a direct ethernet cable than to use a particular speed tester. The second thing you need to assure is that there are no other devices on your network using bandwidth when you are testing. Tests like Speedtest.net and Fast.com are widely used as the test servers are in the UK.

If when tested under those conditions and you still are getting results well below the speed you are buying after you have rebooted your hub then call Sky and report the issue. There have been some similar reports from users including my own connection earlier in the year. My issue was fixed by Sky's Network team but I was never told what they did. Sky will walk you through some diagnostics which have to be run before the system allows the agent to escalate the issue so it is quicker to co-operate rather than arguing. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
HOVERCOL
Topic Author
This message was authored by HOVERCOL This message was authored by: HOVERCOL

Re: broadband

thanks for the replies and it true that if you put the router on a window sill can affect the signal and put the router hi up thanks again colin👍
Colin
Hover
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@HOVERCOL 

Your jitter value of 52 suggests you were testing via a WiFi connected device rather than a wired device. Sky's speed promises only apply to wired connections, not WiFi. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion