Discussion topic: Wifi conflicts - HUE Bridge and Sky Q networks

This message was authored by Parvus This message was authored by: Parvus

Wifi conflicts - HUE Bridge and Sky Q networks

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing conflicts between my Sky Q setup and Philips HUE bridge, associated to the the MESH networks or the 2.4 ghz wifi.  I'm now struggling to resolve and wondering if anyone has similar issues or knows how to resolve the problem.

My Setup:

- Sky Q main box + 2x multiroom boxes.

- Sky Wi-fi HUB with two wifi networks (2.4 + 5 ghz / Channel 6) 

- ALL Sky boxes connected via Ethernet 

- Philips HUE bridge 

The problem:

When all my devices are connected/online I'm unable to connect to the HUE bridge and control any lights.  I CAN access all the wi-fi lights through Google Home no issues, but I want to use HUE for the richer features, colour controls, automations etc... The only way I can access the HUE bridge via the HUE App is once I power off the Sky main box.  Once offline, HUE works perfectly.  My current thought is this relates to the HUE Mesh network, potential channels or an Access Point being created.

Troubleshooting:

I've tried the following without success.

- I've discovered HUE uses ZigBee and have tried channels 11, 15, 26 without success

- I've tried disabling Sky Q MESH networks via secret menu (settings/001), results in miniboxes losing Sky connection, HUE problems remain

Really struggling now to find any resolution for the devices to co-exist or the optimum setup.  Worth mentioning, I do benefit with 1x minibox acting as a AP in my office to boost the 2.4 network.

Any help and ideas welcome!!

Thanks,

All Replies

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Re: Wifi conflicts - HUE Bridge and Sky Q networks

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Parvus wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing conflicts between my Sky Q setup and Philips HUE bridge, associated to the the MESH networks or the 2.4 ghz wifi.  I'm now struggling to resolve and wondering if anyone has similar issues or knows how to resolve the problem.

My Setup:

- Sky Q main box + 2x multiroom boxes.

- Sky Wi-fi HUB with two wifi networks (2.4 + 5 ghz / Channel 6) 

- ALL Sky boxes connected via Ethernet 

- Philips HUE bridge 

The problem:

When all my devices are connected/online I'm unable to connect to the HUE bridge and control any lights.  I CAN access all the wi-fi lights through Google Home no issues, but I want to use HUE for the richer features, colour controls, automations etc... The only way I can access the HUE bridge via the HUE App is once I power off the Sky main box.  Once offline, HUE works perfectly.  My current thought is this relates to the HUE Mesh network, potential channels or an Access Point being created.

Troubleshooting:

I've tried the following without success.

- I've discovered HUE uses ZigBee and have tried channels 11, 15, 26 without success

- I've tried disabling Sky Q MESH networks via secret menu (settings/001), results in miniboxes losing Sky connection, HUE problems remain

Really struggling now to find any resolution for the devices to co-exist or the optimum setup.  Worth mentioning, I do benefit with 1x minibox acting as a AP in my office to boost the 2.4 network.

Any help and ideas welcome!!

Thanks,

Hi @Parvus I also have the HUE bridge not experiencing the issues you are having 

Sky Q and 2 mini boxes connected wirelessly as I hate wires and my Sky Hub/Router is some distance away from all three Sky Q boxes 

My HUB bridge is the only device connected to the Sky Hub/Router vi's ethernet.

I hardly ever use the HUE App as Alexa handles my lights

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Parvus 
It'll be nothing to do with the mesh networks clashing otherwise you wouldn't be able to control the lights from the Google app.

Is your main Q box connected via ethernet or WiFi? Are both the Q box & HUE bridge set to DHCP and not a static IP?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Parvus
Topic Author
This message was authored by Parvus This message was authored by: Parvus

Thanks for info.  My main Sky Q box is connected via an ethernet powerline to the Sky router, my mini boxes are connected via Ethernet directly.

All devices are connected via DHCP, not static IP's defined.  

Any ideas?? 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Parvus 

Powerline has always be dodgy with Sky Q, its not recommended to run it. 

Can you try connecting your main box via WiFi or direct ethernet?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by tbetts This message was authored by: tbetts

I find the sync box to be great when it works but it frequently stops working the tv backlights but continues to pass through the selected input. Also the Sync box never ever completes a sync with the Sky Q box in the app and it often loses wi fi connection. I spent ages on forums but never resolved it. After much arguing with Philips they sent a new box via an exchange. Unfortunately, exactly the same problems. The Sync box is close to the Sky Q box, Sky router and Hue bridge. I have the max Sky multiroom setup which seldom has a problem, even a TV in a separate building. I abandoned the sync box for ages but recently got it going again in the hope that firmware updates had improved things. Nope! Very expensive but worth it if reliable but it isn't so l would not recommend it. There are Philips TVs in the family with backlights built in which are flawless and work with the TVs built in TV channels and apps which the sync box cannot touch. The lights algorithm is not as good as the sync box but the difference in effect is minimal. A far better option for those who still have the choice. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion