Discussion topic: Why is Sky Broadband not signed up as an ISP for City Fibre?

This message was authored by Weeled This message was authored by: Weeled

Why is Sky Broadband not signed up as an ISP for City Fibre?

City Fibre has been intouch stating that I'm ready to go on the full fibre.

however Sky is not signed up only Vodaphone, Octoplus, trunknetworks & IDnet will be my only options.

im a bit of an OCD freak and would have preferred to stay with Sky but I'm literally being forced to move for the better speeds.

is there a reason Sky isn't signing up?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Why is Sky Broadband not signed up as an ISP for City Fibre?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Weeled  Only Sky can answer that. As customers here we have no insight into their business plans.

It would be nice if they used CityFibres network as I'm in the same boat.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Weeled 

That's generally the case across the ISP industry.  It may be that the big providers with millions of subscribers don't entirely trust the business model and consequent ongoing financial stability of the altnet providers and simply don't want to expose themselves to that kind of risk: it's incredibly unlikely that Openreach/BT Wholesale won't be here tomorrow after running out of operating revenue, and they are beyond the venture capital funding stage by about a century.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by oache This message was authored by: oache

@Weeled 

Companies like Sky are just dinosaur's who like steady cash flow ,what this means for you? Basically your area is somewhere down the list or not at all to be upgraded.Join whatever ISP offers you FTP and stop living like is year 2005 with 2G speeds.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@oache and @Weeled if your home is passed by City Fibre or any of the other many Altnet providers who provide fibre services in various locations you can buy a connection through the ISPs who they offer. However you cannot buy from Sky, Talk Talk or any of the BT group ISPs who only offer services over Openreach's network which currently covers around 35% of UK addresses with more being added every month,

Sky do not restrict any of their TV services to their broadband customers so you are free to buy from whoever you want assuuming you are not in a 18 month deal with Sky even then it has been known for Sky to release customers if they cannot offer a competitive product if asked nicely.,

Running large scale networks is technically complex Sky did trials with altnets in various locations notably York but also near me in Hampshire. Those trials have now ended and as a group they have decided to stick with Openreach but that could change and there have been rumours of deals with Virgin and City Fibre but these are nothing more than speculation at the moment.

Part of those decisions will certainly be commercial, but also there will be technical and engineering considerations as setting up these type of networks is not trivial. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion