Discussion topic: Weird Sky Checker readings

This message was authored by Michael+Cody This message was authored by: Michael+Cody

Weird Sky Checker readings

So Yesterday I had Sky Fibre installed, I usually lag on my favourite online game, but now that is solved, so first day I am very impressed, during yesterday I decided to check my download speed out, see if I was getting the 151mb I was meant too, it definitely felt like I was. I did the Sky speed checker and was shocked to see I was still getting my old speed of 64mb. So I did 3 other tests on 3rd party speed testers and each time it came out at 103mb, all 3 other tests gave 103mb, sky checker 4 times throughout day said everything was good and I was getting 64mb. Today I ran the same tests, Sky checker now says 151mb, the other tests says 97mb.

Can anyone explain this weird reading? I fully believe the Sky speed checker is indeed false and just tells you what your speed should be in line with your contract. 

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Weird Sky Checker readings

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Michael+Cody 

The Sky line check shows the speed your router is connected to the cabinet/exchange so in other words the line speed. It likely had not updated on the day you were checking it which is why its gone from 64mbps to 151mbps. 

3rd party speed tests measure the slowest part of the link between the internet and your device, this is usually the WiFi connection itself. Have you run a speedtest via an ethernet connected device?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion