Discussion topic: WIFI 6

This message was authored by 11Chris11 This message was authored by: 11Chris11

WIFI 6

WILL WIFI 6 BE SUPPORTED BY SKY??????????????

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: WIFI 6

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@11Chris11 

You don't have to shout.

No UK ISP currently supplies a WiFi 6-capable router, and the ongoing worldwide semiconductor shortage suggests bringing out new mass-market models this year will be challenging when millions of units may be involved.  Current models cannot be upgraded through firmware updates: 802.11ax has a different hardware specification to 802.11ac

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@11Chris11 At the moment no. In future yes.

There are no timescales yet, for reasons as @TimmyBGood has stated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@11Chris11 

In addition to @TimmyBGood even with a 3rd party wifi6 router you will need devices that support it especially wifi 6e.

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/02/first-hints-of-future-wifi-6-bt-smarthub-3-broadband-r... 

11Chris11
Topic Author
This message was authored by 11Chris11 This message was authored by: 11Chris11

Any idea of timescales within Skys future plans??

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@11Chris11 wrote:

Sky havent said anything, I would imagine its probably being worked on internally but likely not anything in the near future due to not many devices supporting WiFi 6 yet.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

@11Chris11 wrote:

All ISPs will be planning their next router to be specified to 802.11ax, as the article I linked to above indicates.  As Sky only released their last model two years ago they may not have one in a late stage of development at this time: the BT Smart Hub 2 is a year older, which is why it's assumed that their next model will arrive before anything from Sky.

This message was authored by Woody711 This message was authored by: Woody711

Jurassic Fibre provide a Nokia Wi-Fi 6 (AX) router. They are a UK based ISP offering full fibre  (FTTC).

I spoke with one of their installation engineers in Exeter, yesterday, 06.01.22 who confirmed this to be the case.

I believe that other full fibre Internet Service Providers also offer Wi-Fi 6 routers.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Woody711 

Yes they are niche suppliers with a few thousand to hundred thousand subscribers who likely expect more from their provider.

If you choose Sky or any other budget/mass market ISP for a matter of fact, as your broadband provider, you should not expect the latest technology

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Sky, believe in better.

It should be......

Sky, believe in better, elsewhere  🤣

To be fair, Sky have been a decent ISP but their equipment is average at best.

@Woody711 wrote:

They are a UK based ISP offering full fibre  (FTTC).

To a very small number of addresses in a limited geographical area.  It's considerably quicker and easier for the emerging alternative full fibre providers to source a few thousand third-party WiFi 6 routers than for Sky, BT, Virgin and the like to specify, develop and commission their own-brand hardware which will be manufactured and distributed in the millions (and even more so during a global silicon component shortage): this is happening right now, but it takes time.

@TimmyBGood 

To a very small number of addresses in a limited geographical area.  

That's right Timmy but other ISP's in different geographical areas also offer Wi-fi 6 routers here and now.

Some FTTP ISP's also offer monthly rolling contracts so that you can join them and rejoin a large ISP when they get around to installing FTTP in your area. 

I appreciate that Sky and larger ISP's take years to roll new equipment out but the answer to the original post as to whether Sky offer Wi-fi 6 routers is no but other ISP's may well do in your area. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion