Discussion topic: Tp link ac1200 to replace sr203

This message was authored by ducky79 This message was authored by: ducky79

Tp link ac1200 to replace sr203

Hi everyone. 
I have a tp link ac1200 from way back which is sat doing noting. I've recently added ring devices to my setup but they are showing very poor Wi-Fi connection even though they are within 6 foot of my booster! 
I've thought for a long time the wifi is just very poor! 
anyway I was thinking of setting this up as my primary router to get better Wi-Fi range in the house. 
so my questions are, 

1, is it a simple setup to replace the sky router

2, will by sky q and mini sjuat connect to the new Wi-Fi with no issues? 
3, is there any alternatives I should look at? 

thank you for taking the time to help, I have looked at other discussions but a lot refer to using fibre, I'm only on FTTC at the moment and my line speed is currently 60+mbps. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Tp link ac1200 to replace sr203

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ducky79 if you are on a FTTC connection you will need a VDSL modem as the basic AC1200 does not have a modem built-in. TP-Link do make combined modem routers which can be connected to Sky's FTTC connections but the stand alone routers are different because as well as needing a seperate modem there are  issues about the lack of support for Sky's authentication requirements.

All is not lost though you can connect your router to Sky's hub by ethernet and operate in double NAT set up. You would turn off the Sky hubs wifi. This set up works for most every app but a few may have issues. Another possiblecset up is to use your TP-Link unit in access point mode which avoids the Double NAT issues as the Sky hub acts as router and the TP-Link unit just handles the wifi.

One thought how far is your Sky booster from the hub? Boosters can only provide a fast conection if the have a strong signal from the hub so are best positioned half way between where you need the boost and the hub. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
ducky79
Topic Author
This message was authored by ducky79 This message was authored by: ducky79

Re: Tp link ac1200 to replace sr203

Thanks for the reply, I've just realised it's the AC1600 I have actually, 

but in answer to your question my booster is only about 14ft from the main router but my ring cameras on the back of the house still suffer with really poor wifi connection, I'm having to use a combination of the booster and a wifi extender I have to get a half decent signal. The RSSI is still in the low 60's though sadly. 
mum happy to set this up purely as a wifi machine though of it will end my poor connection issues. My only worry would be the sky q and minis, would they still function the same? I know the sky mesh system would be taken offline but if there is good wifi would it still be ok? 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion