Discussion topic: Thinking of ditching Virgin

This message was authored by Montymootron This message was authored by: Montymootron

Thinking of ditching Virgin

Hi...

At the moment I have the 1 gig Virgin Broadband but I now se that I can get Sky 900mb service at my address. I already have Sky TV.

At the moment my router is upstairs and connected via ethernet to my Mac and also to printers also situated upstairs. 

I have also got an ethernet connection to my TV downstairs via an external cable !

My phone line which is also Virgin is at the front of the house.

So my question is how much trouble is it going to be when and if I change to Sky ??

Sorry for being so long winded !

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Thinking of ditching Virgin

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Montymootron 

The process would involve Openreach visiting and installing a new fibre cable to your home. To minimise the disruption to your setup it would be ideal to ask them to run the cable to the same place you have your Virgin router in now although they not be able to completely accommodate that.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Montymootron 

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/fttp-full-fibre-broadband-installation 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Montymootron
Topic Author
This message was authored by Montymootron This message was authored by: Montymootron

Hi..

Thanks for that... will Openreach install a new phone socket in a place of my choosing ? If this was at the rear of my TV I could use the existing ethernet cable to conect to an upstairs hub for my mac and printers ?

Cheers Phil

@Montymootron 

Completely depends on the engineer who attends and the scale of the job. By the book engineers will only do a run of about 5-10m from the point the cable enters/attaches to your property. However on the day the engineer may agree to putting the ONT into a location of your choice even if it exceeds the normal installation guidelines. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Montymootron
Topic Author

Hi.. The telephone pole is right at the front of the house about 5 metres away.

@Montymootron 

If the closest point of your house to the telephone pole is within about 5m of where you want the hub then you'll be fine. If it isnt then you may need to sweet talk the engineer with some tea and biscuits 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Montymootron wrote:

will Openreach install a new phone socket in a place of my choosing ?

Note there's no 'phone socket': the Openreach-supplied kit is an Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

The only connection for landline telephony is on the ISP-supplied router.  Any Openreach sockets, extension sockets and Virgin telephone points become obsolete.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Montymootron
Topic Author

Many thanks and have a nice day ! Cheers phil

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion