Discussion topic: Switching to Sky - Is this a scam message

This message was authored by AJW-BLJ This message was authored by: AJW-BLJ

Switching to Sky - Is this a scam message

Yesterday, I registered to transfer to Sky. Today I received a WhatsApp message, proporting to be from SKY. I answered the first few questions, logged into my account and finally got the following message (I have removed the end of the web address and replaced it with an *. it was just several chacters.

[1:30 pm, 18/07/2022] : YES
[1:42 pm, 18/07/2022] Sky UK: Andrew
Thank you Anthony for confirming your details. 👍One final check is required before I can access your account.
Please click on the following link to answer a quick security question https://ts.idavid.liveperson.net/*

Please be aware that the link expires after one hour. Once completed - Respond "DONE"
If the link happens to expire, don't worry, just let us know and we can send another.

Is it a genuine message ? I'm concerned by the we address.

Help would be much appreciated

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Switching to Sky - Is this a scam message

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @AJW-BLJ 

As far as I know Sky do not operate on Whatsapp and I dont think that link is related to Sky. I'll check this with one of the Sky community managers and let you know

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I have escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.  
Just look out for the blue bubble to start the conversation. 
Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://community.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147  

AJW-BLJ
Topic Author
This message was authored by AJW-BLJ This message was authored by: AJW-BLJ

It does seem genine and my installation date has been changed but I think the whole process is questionable. We have so many warnings about scammers, then Sky uses a process which looks like a scam.

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Update – We are still looking to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your invite has been closed now. Thanks

This message was authored by Peover This message was authored by: Peover

I have also received  a Whatsapp message from "SKY UK", asking if I wanted to combine my 2 engineer visits. Likewise, I answered the security question and they obviously accessed my account as they confirmed when the dates were but that they couldn't combine on the same day. I would also like to check whether this is a scam and if so what needs to be done?    

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @Peover 

It seems Sky are now using Whatsapp to communicate about various home visits so it isnt a scam

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Thanks @James123. I contacted Sky yesterday and they were able to confirm that WhatsApp is now being used and that the person I was receiving messages from was a genuine Sky employee, so it was not a scam.

@jamesn123. Apologies, meant to send to you. 

This message was authored by Chinks This message was authored by: Chinks

Yesterday I signed up with sky , received several emails etc to confirm ,today I received a whatsapp msg asking if I would like to combine my installion visits , seemed genuine with links to login to my sky account , but as a natural doubter I rang Sky ,probs cost a fortune and took 20 minutes , only to be told that they do not use whatsapp to contact customers , so there is a clear difference on this subject .

Would really like someone from sky to make things clear on this subject , I have already blocked and reported the whatsapp , but have I just delayed my install ? 

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@ChinksSky has begun using WhatsApp for some users to inform them of install dates. You would have to check with Sky to see if everything is still on course.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by Themilkman999 This message was authored by: Themilkman999

I also received a WhatsApp message purportedly from Sky. I had booked to have Sky Q installed and I got a confirmation SMS from Sky confirming the date and then almost immediately a WhatsApp message saying the same thing. On the day of installation I received a WhatsApp message saying Sky were cancelling the installation and to choose from the following 3 options,isted as as A,B,C. Call Us, Rebook Engineer, virtual chat. I rang Sky directly only then to be told that they were indeed coming to install my system. So I'm thinking something's up with the WhatsApp message. The gentleman on the phone also told me that Sky don't use WhatsApp. It had a green tick too. Approved business on WhatsApp. 

This message was authored by MrJay87 This message was authored by: MrJay87

This is not a scam! People are too scared of scams these days. WhatsApp has it's method of authenticating businesses and the tick next to their name indicates this. I had this message, I answered it, got my dates merged together and what happened? A Sky Engineer came out on that day to install both TV and Broadband for me!

Sky does not have their own messaging program, they have to rent it from another company. The iDavid link is the security within that service and is not mallicious in any shape or form. Blocking the number will just mean you have two appointments instead of one if Sky can do that for you meaning, they are trying to do something nice for us and people think immediately it's a scam yet Sky have done everything they can to provide authentication

This message was authored by stu1930 This message was authored by: stu1930

I have also had a 'Sky' whatsapp request and have assumed a scam so blocked it

And yes this need to be escolated 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion