Discussion topic: Slow Broadband

This message was authored by Briff This message was authored by: Briff

Slow Broadband

Hi,

Hoping to get some help with my very drastic drop in broadband speed over the last few weeks and two failed calls to customer services the other day...

Problems started on 13/01/22, when my download speeds dropped from our usual around 40Mbps down to 17Mbs (although often lower than this and sometimes under 10Mbs). I ran a test through MySky, which picked up on the problem and arranged an engineer. A few days later,  I had a text from Sky to say the problem had been fixed, however, after running the test again, I was still only getting 17Mbs to the hub; this has since increased to 24Mbs, which is still a way from my minimum guaranteed speed of 33Mbps. If an engineer has done something at the cabinet, is it likely that the fix may take some time to filter to me and may I see an improvement over the next couple of weeks? Sky told me the issue had been fixed on 25/01/22.

I'm not sure where else to go with this, as Sky are no longer seeing it as a fault. I will try calling again at some point, but got fed up of waiting 45 minutes twice just to be cut-off. 

Thanks very much,

Luke

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Slow Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Briff 

Can you post your router stats

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

And run tests on my sky app and post the info in more about your connection

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Briff
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have attached (hopefully the correct) info.

Cheers,

FD4C2DAF-1B11-4353-9A17-6013D0921AEC.png

CCCA06B8-2A64-4188-BB72-A7661B4336DC.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Briff 

Click 'more about your connection" and post that

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Briff
Topic Author

3B6A0584-FE55-4C7C-B931-5E6075D64B67.png

@Briff 

Obviously still below the guaranteed speed

Enter your full postal address below and post the full table

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Briff
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Screenshot attached.

Yep, it hasn't been anywhere near the guaranteed speed for weeks now. Best has been 24Mbps.

30A37AE3-9E54-453D-8D6F-E01B0CCC0891.png

@Briff 

I've escalated your post via the community chat. This link explains how it works

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Keep an eye out for an invite or blue chat bubble. When the blue bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed.

Briff
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Cheers for the help 🙂.

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thank you for escalating this. We have now sent an invite to chat 🙂

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Pulp58 This message was authored by: Pulp58

I have the same experience used to be 36/7 now a consistent 19/7, it changed around Mar'22

i am convinced this is a Sky change.

Briff
Topic Author

Hi Pulp58,

I still have the same issue; Sky did something their end, but it never resolved it and I'm still getting 23-24Mbps at best.

I'm going to have to chase them again in the hope they have a solution! Not sure if if it can be escalated through this post again?

Cheers,

Luke

Hi Luke,

there is something odd going on at Sky, the more I ask around where I live, the more find that others are suffering from slow speeds, so I've gone from 36Mbs to 21Mbs on or around 05-Apr-22 after years (at least 6) of being at 36Mbs.

They had me chasing WiFi channels, no difference.

Disconnecting all WiFi connected devices - no difference.

sent me a new SR101 Router - no difference.

sent a BT  Openreach technician- changed the BT master socket, took off any phone extensions and checked wiring - no difference.

Sent me a SR203 Boost router - no difference.

Sent a Sky WiFi technician, fitted a test router - no difference.

sent another BT technician, who installed a new copper link to the street, then swapped the circuits at the Exchange - no difference.

got me to record router stats, all showing no issues and BT stats show no circuit errors, tested the line using some £6000 test set, no fault found.

So the conclusion I make is Sky have changed something but are being somewhat coy about what they have changed, plus they pulled out of the Ofcom speed guarantee, ironically after being the first to sign up to it, now probably the first to pull out!

Someone in Sky will know why this has been changed and it's time to come clean or maybe they don't care about customers.

There are 6 properties here that are affected, Sky say it's not them, BT have been very open with me and shown me all their tests and they say it's Sky!

Common factors are late March to early April '22 change date. Typically aligned to a renewal of contract. Always the same speed cap of 20-22Mbs. No one knows what's changed.

im waiting for Sky to say why or what has changed - they know why!

No reply from Sky, because they have no solution!

Well, since I reported the slow download here things have improved, my speed miraculously started to climb this morning ring and now sits at 28/7, it's still out of contract but getting nearer to 30/20.

Sky customers, please run a Speedtest and make sure your getting what you pay for.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion