Discussion topic: Sky max box installed in wrong location

This message was authored by celfrog65 This message was authored by: celfrog65

Sky max box installed in wrong location

So openreach/sky installed sky max box in home but installed it in my bedroom which is back of house. I asked for it to be installed in living room but installer refused saying as openreach only out wiring to rear of building it had to go into property at rear. Which is where my bedroom is. This is 20 feet from living room and as a result I almost never get the speed on the package, plus the sky signal frequently drops out for upwards of 30 mins at a time, giving me almost no utility. Has anyone else had this problem? I wrote complaint on Trustpilot but only got a message saying sorry but contact sky??

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Sky max box installed in wrong location

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@celfrog65 wrote:

I asked for it to be installed in living room but installer refused saying as openreach only out wiring to rear of building it had to go into property at rear.

That would be correct: the Hub has to connect by cable to the Openreach master socket (ADSL/FTTC/G.fast) or ONT (FTTP)

There are potential workarounds depending on which of those broadband types you have.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
celfrog65
Topic Author

Think I'm saying that I don't know why installer wouldn't run cable through house to living room? I'm aware I can buy yet more stuff from sky to extend the signal but it's barking they can't just simply put it where I want it.

i don't mid wire running along skirting boards and couple holes drilled. Seems to like they can't be bothered to offer it. I've had cables installed underneath flat as it's a suspended ceiling but installer refused to do that for 'H&S reasons' which didn't cause British gas or my alarm company any issues when they put in piping and cabling. Very disappointed in sky. Can't say I'd recommend them again over this. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@celfrog65 wrote:

Think I'm saying that I don't know why installer wouldn't run cable through house to living room?

Drilling through interior walls is not part of a 'standard' installation by Openreach or Sky. 

@celfrog65 wrote:

I've had cables installed underneath flat as it's a suspended ceiling but installer refused to do that for 'H&S reasons' which didn't cause British gas or my alarm company any issues when they put in piping and cabling.

They were correct to refuse.  What other companies choose to regard as safe working practice is up to them.

@celfrog65 

It would help if you identified which broadband technology you have: FTTP, for example, can be connected from ONT to ISP router quite simply over a long ethernet cable run as a retrospective DIY or contractor installation.

celfrog65
Topic Author

That's a pity then. So it's basically take what you're given not what you need. I guess I'd always imagined as a paying customer I'd get the box where I need it. Dont recall being told in any literature that was the case or on any discussions I'd had before I decided to have this installed. Being told you can sort it yourself isn't really good enough. I've had sky put wiring in homes in times gone by where I want the kit, so theyve changed their policy. I'll choose another supplier when the time comes to renew. 

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

@celfrog65 When openreach installed the Cable or Fibre at the first point, that is when you should have stopped the installation if you were not happy and told that it had to be the rear of the property.

There is criteria that has to be met by the Installation team, but YOU also had the right to say NO, and if you could not resolve at that point. As the post 5 request further info is requested, this Cust - Cust forum is here to help and assist you, It may be as simple as powerline connection in bedroom and living room alowing you to move the router, speed may not be 100% but certainly less invasive.

Wifi signal can be troublesome, and when you move to the other room, then no signal in bedroom becomes the next issue????

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@celfrog65 wrote:. I'll choose another supplier when the time comes to renew. 

@celfrog65 if you choose an ISP who uses the Openreach network you will find they will use the current set up.

Custom installs running under suspended floors would almost certainly require you paying a third party installer. As explained it is relatively simple to leave the incoming line point where it is and having a longer cable run to your living room to connect to the Sky hub. Exactly which type of cable required depends on whether you have full fibre or a copper line.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@celfrog65 wrote:

I've had sky put wiring in homes in times gone by where I want the kit, so theyve changed their policy. 

An internet connection isn't 'sky wiring': it's the far end of the national Openreach data network and used by any ISP that is an Openreach client (which would include BT/EE/Plusnet, TalkTalk and Vodafone).  You appear to be under the misapprehension that this is a Sky installation, which it is not, even if it was carried out by one of the small number of Sky staff certified by Openreach for telecommunications work.

@celfrog65 wrote:

I guess I'd always imagined as a paying customer I'd get the box where I need it. 

Within the limits of a 'standard' Openreach installation, which does not include drilling through internal walls, routing cable through or around doorways or work above suspended ceilings / below floating floors.  They will run an optical pigtail around the outside of a property where there's a clear route for it and use or create a suitable entry point through an external wall: that's what we have here.

It's perhaps worth considering that the scale of the national FTTP deployment requires each fibre team to carry out several installations per day, and so they just don't have the time allocated at an individual address for bespoke work, aside from not being trained to do so or equipped to 'make good' afterwards.

As I mentioned above, the simplest way to relocate an ISP router on an FTTP connection is to extend over ethernet cable from the ONT as either a DIY installation or by contracting with a network installer: ethernet is good for up to 100 metres with no loss of speed.  In theory Powerline networking is also viable, but may be a bottleneck for the higher Ultrafast speed bands.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion