Discussion topic: Sky hub as just a modem.

TrebleTA
Topic Author
This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Re: Sky hub as just a modem.

Can you not make a firewall rule using the info in the sky logs, I guess you have tried that. 

This is another reason why sky need to fix up and add a bridge mode with voip or sort a ATA device for voip.

Yet been asking for years......

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by StuXxxxx This message was authored by: StuXxxxx

If I was a cynical person, I would conclude that the ISPs don’t want people using their own equipment as their control goes out the window.  If I was very cynical, I would add that the move to proprietary VoIP systems is a covert way of trying to lock customers back into using their equipment.  Even with Virgin, I would suggest that the only reason they have a modem only mode is because of the nature of DOCSIS and the fact that they had to have some way of retaining control of the other end of the connection to avoid chaos.

This is why I keep point out to people that you can still have a network protected by your own router and firewall.  It’s just a more complicated setup. 

…Of course, I’m not that cynical, (or that paranoid).  Really, I’m not.  Honest.

Discuss…

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@StuXxxxx you dont need to be cynical to come to that conclusion. Sky are quite open that they want people to use the kit they supply for two reasons first their diagnostic and support system requires use of a Sky hub and secondly it tends to make customers less likely to switch.

In practice only a very small % of Sky's 6 million plus broadband customers dont use the supplied hub. Ofcom insist on there being.a reasonable opportunity for customers to be able to use their own kit but dont require ISPs like Sky to support those who choose to do so.

Ofcom recently ran a consultation on  net neutrality which you can find summarised here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/net-neutrality-review.  

If you believe this is wrong or that Sky's or other ISPs activities are anti-competitive raise this with Ofcom or your MP

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Chrisee 

How can it be net neutral to not allow customers access to a telephone line when using their own phone or allow switching of the telephone number to a third-party VoIP provider with a number they've had for years?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 that is a question for Ofcom not myself. I tend to agree with you that the question of land lines over fibre is anti-competitive - not just with Sky of course - but as yet the requlator has not taken any action.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Chrisee 

I agree the question is for Ofcom and have raised a complaint with them concerning this anti-competitive practice, it definitely needs sorting for all ISPs in keeping the number trapped in their VoIP system without giving the option of porting the telephone number but keeping the broadband!

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
TrebleTA
Topic Author

I have done the same and raised a complaint with them, see what happens.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by CarlW2020 This message was authored by: CarlW2020

Reading this has really annoyed me.  I am currently with NOW rather than Sky but, whilst they use the same base router I figured the NOW one was somehow nobbled but would be able to run the Sky one in 'modem only' mode.  I know Virgin Media routers can be set to that so it was logical to assume Sky's could be too. Guess I was wrong 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The Fritzbox is one of the best routers I have ever seen and I would really like to be able to use it if possible. (Mainly for its telephony function, to be honest!)

Would it be possible to get the two working together or not?

Thanks..

---------------------------------------------------------------------
- NOW Broadband
- Sky Q 1TB box with Signature, Ultimate & Cinema
- "I'm not small, I'm fun-size"
TrebleTA
Topic Author

Yes, check my guide.

Link here 

P.s Now tv is skys b service, i found very poor. Yet some of the TV deals was good like £1 a month for movies., when they offer it.

@CarlW2020 as far as I am aware the Now and Sky branded routers are identical and heavily locked down.

No Sky hub has a modem mode. If you are on a FTTC servicecyou can buy a third party VDSL modem - a cheap TP-Link modem router running in modem mode is a popular choice or buy a Dratek modem.

This message was authored by CarlW2020 This message was authored by: CarlW2020

Thanks for the replies guys, but I just realised I can't do what I need to right now as I don't have a "Digital Voice" line yet. Oh well!

@TrebleTA wrote:

Yes, check my guide.

Link here 

P.s Now tv is skys b service, i found very poor. Yet some of the TV deals was good like £1 a month for movies., when they offer it.

I know 😉 I'm actually finding it works just fine for me.

@Chrisee wrote:

@CarlW2020 as far as I am aware the Now and Sky branded routers are identical and heavily locked down.

No Sky hub has a modem mode. If you are on a FTTC servicecyou can buy a third party VDSL modem - a cheap TP-Link modem router running in modem mode is a popular choice or buy a Dratek modem.

Hmm. I just found this:

https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/providers/sky/broadband/routers

--

Can I use my own router with Sky Broadband?
Yes, you can use your own router with Sky Broadband. You can configure your Sky Broadband Hub as a modem and connect it to your own wireless router. Unless your wireless router also has a compatible ADSL modem or can work directly with fibre broadband, you won’t be able to replace the Sky Broadband Hub altogether. You can use it just as a modem and provide Wi-Fi and any other features using your own router, though.

--

---------------------------------------------------------------------
- NOW Broadband
- Sky Q 1TB box with Signature, Ultimate & Cinema
- "I'm not small, I'm fun-size"
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@CarlW2020 wrote:

Hmm. I just found this:

https://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/providers/sky/broadband/routers

--

Can I use my own router with Sky Broadband?
Yes, you can use your own router with Sky Broadband. You can configure your Sky Broadband Hub as a modem and connect it to your own wireless router. 

Simply incorrect information on that website I'm afraid: it appears to be a copy and paste error using generic text which doesn't apply. There's no user accessible setting on a Sky Hub which will prevent it from routing, so it cannot be just a modem.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion