Discussion topic: Sky hub SR203 + compatibility with Mesh networks

This message was authored by Rw10rww This message was authored by: Rw10rww

Sky hub SR203 + compatibility with Mesh networks

Hi,

Recently got sky internet installed (SR203 hub) and looking to purchase a mesh network to boost the wifi signals. A quick google search has pointed out a number of concerns with this. 

Does this model support Modem only mode?

Will I get the double nat issue?

Does the Sky Q box work if wired in modem only mode?

Does anyone have any recomended mesh systems that work with Sky Q and Sky Broadband?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Sky hub SR203 + compatibility with Mesh networks

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rw10rww wrote:

Does this model support Modem only mode? No

Will I get the double nat issue? Yes

Does the Sky Q box work if wired in modem only mode? Not sure what you mean here, it doesnt have modem only mode, if you dont connect it to your line then it wont work

Does anyone have any recomended mesh systems that work with Sky Q and Sky Broadband?

A popular choice is the Asus XT System

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Sky hub SR203 + compatibility with Mesh networks

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rw10rww Inuseca mesh system with my SR203 so it can be done.

Answering your questions

1 no Sky hub has a modem mode

2 if you run your mesh unit in router mode you will have a double NAT not thst is necessarily a problem. If you run the mesh in access point mode as I do you won't. Only a few apps have issues with a Double NAT.

3 Sky Q boxes work perfectly well connected by ethernet with wifi turned off but if you leave the wifi turned on you are likely to get issues with interference as they act as wifi repeaters for the Sky hub.

4 I use a TP-Link Deco M4 system but I no longer have Sky Q.

A little bit more information your Sky hub and Sky Q boxes operate over a mesh system themselves when I had Q boxes I got very good wifi coverage in a fairly large level house but two of the Q boxes and the hub were connected using powerline adapters which greatly improved the backhaul. Having two mesh systems in the same area will almost inevitably cause interference.

When I switched to Sky Glass I neded something to replace the Q boxes wifi. I bought a set of 3 Deco units one is configured as a base unit in access point mode (routing switched off so DHCP etc handled by the SR203 which has its wifi switched off). The other two Deco units are on different levels this give me true wifi speeds around 400Mb/s in every room. My previous all Sky set up provided much the same coverage but key was the high speed back haul provided by the Powerline adapters. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion