Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Unlimited

This message was authored by Rustynail007 This message was authored by: Rustynail007

Sky Broadband Unlimited

I finally managed to speak to someone from Sky this afternoon regarding upgrading my broadband package.

I’m on Sky Broadband Unlimited, which is an obsolete package for which I pay £40 plus per month plus Sky talk. I was told that in order to get ‘Superfast 35’ I would first have to downgrade my internet connection? The person on the phone also told me that this ‘Superfast 35’ will be slower than my current package, which at best gives me 5MB.

For the past few days my connection has been horrible. It either drops constantly or it gives me a slow connection (1.9 MB yesterday).

Is this truly the best I can hope to receive from Sky Broadband?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248 Answer

Re: Sky Broadband Unlimited

Remember sky 'piggy backs' the BT infrastructure and passes those costs onto you for renting their line to utilise phone and internet.

If you are getting such low speeds you'll need to ensure an openreach engineer is first put out to test your line for faults and sort this to your property, I assume you don't have FTTP? 

Therefore, unfortunately they're going back what speeds they estimate you'll get from the exchange to your hub before it even remotely extends from the router as Wi-Fi to your devices. 

Id recommend speaking to someone to push for the openreach visit to your exchange and pole. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre 500 WiFi Max
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248 Answer

Remember sky 'piggy backs' the BT infrastructure and passes those costs onto you for renting their line to utilise phone and internet.

If you are getting such low speeds you'll need to ensure an openreach engineer is first put out to test your line for faults and sort this to your property, I assume you don't have FTTP? 

Therefore, unfortunately they're going back what speeds they estimate you'll get from the exchange to your hub before it even remotely extends from the router as Wi-Fi to your devices. 

Id recommend speaking to someone to push for the openreach visit to your exchange and pole. 

Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre 500 WiFi Max
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
Rustynail007
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rustynail007 This message was authored by: Rustynail007

Thanks a lot for your answer @Kevin-7248. Indeed, FTTP is not available yet where I live. Although apparently it is scheduled for 2026. I'll have to recontact Sky and ask them to have an open reach engineer check my line. Hopefully this will allow me to get the upgrade I want.

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

No problem @Rustynail007 

I hope you manage to get the upgrade you want. Yes it seems so with a lot of areas they've left to 2026. Too long a wait and not quickly enough to simply replace if an area is deemed suitable for overhead fibre instead of underground ducting. 

Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre 500 WiFi Max
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rustynail007 

Sounds like you are on a very long line which results in FTTC or 'Superfast' actually offering lower speeds than ADSL or 'Broadband Unlimted' due to the technology. I would try and negotiate your price and move to the 'Essentials Plus' package which is the newer version of what you are on. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion