Discussion topic: Sky Broadband Superfast package - maximum speed?

This message was authored by skyounbjiuku213 This message was authored by: skyounbjiuku213

Sky Broadband Superfast package - maximum speed?

Currently on the Sky broadband Superfast package with an advertised average download speed of 59 Mb/s and upload speed of 16 Mb/s (not able to upgrade to any of the faster speed packages unfortunately).

Using the Sky Service Checker for internet connection speed history always shows both a minimum / maximum measured speed of 40 Mb/s. Just wondering if this is some sort of artifical cap and if there's anything I can do to enable faster broadband speeds on my line if so? (restarting the router etc has no effect).

Stats from the Router Statistics page of the Sky Hub as below:

Broadband Link Downstream:

Connection Speed (Kbps) 40000

Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:15.7    DS2:35.5    DS3:53.4

Noise Margin (dB) DS1:10.0    DS2:10.1    DS3:10.1

Broadband Link Upstream:

Connection Speed (Kbps) 9997

Line Attenuation (dB) US0:6.1    US1:28.5    US2:41.5

Noise Margin (dB) US0:7.8    US1:7.6    US2:7.6

Thanks!

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Sky Broadband Superfast package - maximum speed?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@skyounbjiuku213 

Unfortunately in your case even if your line could be faster anyone with a guaranteed speed of 32Mbps is put on a 40Mbps profile

@TimmyBGood 

@Highlinder 

Is that an accurate assessment or are their any signs of a line fault.

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@skyounbjiuku213 

Could you run tests on your my sky and post the info in "more about your connection"

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

skyounbjiuku213
Topic Author
This message was authored by skyounbjiuku213 This message was authored by: skyounbjiuku213

More about your speed
Your package: Sky Broadband Superfast

Estimated upload speed: 9.9 Mb/s

Normally available download speed: 36 - 37 Mb/s

Guaranteed Minimum Download Speed: 32 Mb/s

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@skyounbjiuku213 

Unfortunately in your case even if your line could be faster anyone with a guaranteed speed of 32Mbps is put on a 40Mbps profile

@TimmyBGood 

@Highlinder 

Is that an accurate assessment or are their any signs of a line fault.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@skyounbjiuku213 wrote:

Currently on the Sky broadband Superfast package with an advertised average download speed of 59 Mb/s and upload speed of 16 Mb/s 

That's a particular form of national average which Ofcom and the ASA permit ISPs to quote in advertising: it's not a promise that such speeds are possible at any particular address.

As @cookiemonsteruk indicates, you're clearly provisioned on 40/10, and so really should probably be paying the slightly lower monthly cost for the Sky 35 product.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
skyounbjiuku213
Topic Author

Thanks for the insights, much appreciated!

This message was authored by Postings This message was authored by: Postings

His SNR Suggests he should be on the 80/20, should ring up and complain and try and get a move to the 80/20

Probably would see speeds of 55 to 60 if put on the correct 80/20 profile, that's very sneaky that sky do that put people on the 40 profile if the guaranteed minimum is 32, regardless of the snr.

Or he should get an open each engineer to ring and explain that he wants to move package as he has been put on the wrong package and the line can go faster which it clearly can, he could easily get around 60 with dlm and a move to the 80/20

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Postings 

Sky automatically base provisioning on the handback speed figure provided by Openreach.

True although a friendly call could change that, judging by the stats he has some headroom so should be on 80/20, its crafty of isps to put people on lower speed packages when their line can support faster

@Postings wrote:

True although a friendly call could change that

I doubt it.  Personally I'd suggest it's better for ISPs to provision a 40/10 service which can actually be delivered reliably and then charge less for it, rather that going for an unsustainable 80/20 at higher monthly cost.

But if someones guaranteed minimum is 32 but their speed is 40 and their stats show they can go a lot higher they should be allowed a switch to the 80 profile, judging by his stats snr and the like he could hit around 60 with a change to the 80 profile, if not 60 then the high 50s.

seems a bit of a crafty thing for isps to do

Here are my stats for comparison, how are they looking

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time WAN MER 5336439 12088330 0 0 0 08:10:35 LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00 WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 1110984 52094 0 1 0 00:23:14 WLAN (5 GHz) Up 2721724 980083 0 1 1 00:23:29

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 62991 kbps 9213 kbps Line Attenuation D1(17.9 dB) , D2(46.7 dB) , D3(71.1 dB) U0(6.1 dB) , U1(36.0 dB) , U2(0.0 dB) Noise Margin 4.2 dB 6.0 dB

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion