Discussion topic: Problems connecting Synology NAS to Sky Hub

This message was authored by wildernesswarrior This message was authored by: wildernesswarrior

Problems connecting Synology NAS to Sky Hub

Hi there!

So I've got a Synology DS218Play NAS drive which I'm trying to connect to my Sky Hub.

Apparently my IP setup is conflicted as "I can't have my IP in the same subnets" or something like that.

Has anyone ever successfully connected their Synology NAS to their Sky Hub?? It seems impossible for me.

The NAS is connected to my mini PC with Cat5e cable and the mini PC is connected via Wi-Fi to Sky Hub.

The NAS has been assigned a 169.254.xxx.xx address whereas the Sky Hub is 192.168.0.1

I am in genuine need of help from anyone who knows how to configure this device.

Many thanks in advance!

Richard.

All Replies

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

Re: Problems connecting Synology NAS to Sky Hub

@wildernesswarrior  A 169.***..***.*** ip address is self assigned when the client dose not receive an address from the DHCP server, ie: your router!

Your nas needs an Ethernet connection to your router, not the mini pc!

You can limit access to just your mini pc if that's your intention, but there are better ways of achieving that once it's connected to your network.

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wildernesswarrior 

Make sure you are setting the NAS up as a network client not a DHCP host as the Synology NAS devices can act as DHCP hosts dishing out IPs to the rest of your network which would obviously conflict with your Sky hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by cuke This message was authored by: cuke

As has been pointed out if your NAS is connected to your PC over ethernet then there is no way it can pickup an IP address from the router, the default IP address of 169 is demonstrating this.

You need to wire the NAS to your router directly.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wildernesswarrior wrote:

The NAS is connected to my mini PC with Cat5e cable and the mini PC is connected via Wi-Fi to Sky Hub.

Kind of by definition that's not how Network Attached Storage is meant to work, although I can see how confusion could arise.  For direct access from a client PC you could potentially use one of the USB ports on the Synology, although this is not really intended to be the case either and risks messing up the embedded file system.

Conceivably it's  possible (through some reasonably advanced manual network configuration) to set up a Windows PC as a WLAN-LAN bridge and mount the NAS behind it as you describe, but I can't imagine why you'd want to.  If you're short of ethernet ports on the Sky Hub to plug the Synology into then an unmanaged ethernet switch is the appropriate hardware to add more capacity.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
wildernesswarrior
Topic Author
This message was authored by wildernesswarrior This message was authored by: wildernesswarrior

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I've since connected to Ethernet directly and set up a new powerline for my other devices so not to conflict with anything.

Followed the recommendations for networking as set by Synology.

Works perfectly! 😀🥳

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@wildernesswarrior  Glad yr all sorted, 

If you have not done so already, I would strongly advise disabling the default Admin & Guest accounts once you have your own active profile setup!

Best practice then is to change away from the main default ports.

Syno is a gr8 piece of kit 👍

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by BarrowHead This message was authored by: BarrowHead

Hi

I had same problem after chan ging from TalkTalk to Sky Broadband.

Try pinging your NAS and see if it is actually on the network.

Then for Synology type in web browser findmysynology

You should get returns for Synology Web Assistant

Select Web assistant & this will search for all Synology devices on your network

obviously assuming the ping found it in the first place.
The SWA will return the address of any Synology device found..

Select it and  click connect..

That should take you to your Synology Log In Page.
Worked for me, I save it as a favourite for easy access.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion