Discussion topic: Poor wifi

This message was authored by Wizzerwozzer This message was authored by: Wizzerwozzer

Poor wifi

Why is my wifi so poor compared to virgin yet my package is supposed to be twice as good ie 500mb Virgin and now 1tb SKY and its worse

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Poor wifi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wizzerwozzer wifi speeds are not directly related to the speed of the connection to the hub as they are mainly influenced by the layout and type of construction of your home. However the black Sky hubs and Virgin hubs are normally much of a muchness in terms of Wifi performance. The new white Sky Wifi Max hub should in theory be faster as a Wifi6 unit.

For forum members to be able to help can you give some information.

• what has changed in terms of location of the routers?
  • Did you have boosters with your Virgin system?
  •  Can you give some speed test results bith near the hub and in the main area you need the faster speeds.
=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Wizzerwozzer
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wizzerwozzer This message was authored by: Wizzerwozzer

I have the white Sky one and my PS5 is lucky to get 80mb Virgin was always 100+ all in the same place nothing different apart from router/supplier so guess its why SKY offer boosters at a cost again unlike Virgin who do them free guess will just live with it another 17 months then go back

Wizzerwozzer
Topic Author

Thats best Sky and worst Virgin for the record just now its 9mb wifi on PS test hence unplayable

Wizzerwozzer
Topic Author

This Samsung tablet same place i always test where i work today after 3 tests best is 198mbps  Virgin average was always 275- 315mbps never had boosters down here only 1 upstairs with Virgin but never got used as son uses TP link

The only changes are supplier ( upgrade) and quality which started ok a month ago now its shocking and all i get is turn it off and on again blah blah

Wizzerwozzer
Topic Author

Fujitsu laptop tests 225mbps average with Virgin this is 106mbps 20240531_152205.jpg

Wizzerwozzer
Topic Author

I get the speed is LAN but @Chrisee  the wifi has gone from acceptable to shocking of late

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wizzerwozzer I would raise this with Sky to see if they can offer something. I find to get decent wifi speeds through out my home (200Mb/s or higher) I need 3 wifi sources and being mean I bought a cheap whole home set up which I run in place of my SR213's wifi.

The SR213 delivers very good speeds in our main living area measuring 800Mb/s in tests with wifi6 devices but on other floors performance drops off quite a lot to below 100Mb/s. I did briefly try Sky's extenders but their performance was no better than my cheapo Deco system. The wifi Max system is triband which is potentially better. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion