Discussion topic: Poor signal strength

This message was authored by jwardmagic This message was authored by: jwardmagic

Poor signal strength

My router was installed directly below (one floor) my router. I get good connection strength downstairs but only a weak signal in the room directly above the router. Should I just try to relocate my router somewhere more central in my house? (or is this something sky cover?) Is it worth investing in a signal strength booster? Or maybe I should try to connect the router directly to the computer upstairs with an Ethernet.

All Replies

This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Re: Poor signal strength

I would get a wifi signal app for your mobile, then try moving the router around keeping eye on the signal strength, else a booster may help, but if its poor I would get another router run a cable upstairs to the router and use it as a access point. Yet just running a cable to the pc would be best.

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@jwardmagic & @TrebleTA do not try to use a second router as you are likely to hit issues as two routers on one network will clash. Instead you need a wifi access point, some routers can be configured to run in access point mode. Ideally link the router to the access point by an ethernet cable but you can use powerline adapters which can be bought with built-in adapters.

Old type wifi boosters are not generally a good solution between floors as they need a strong signal to boost but whole home Wifi mesh systems can work. They are not cheap but can provide fast wifi in multilevel homes. Choose a system  that can run in Access Point mode connect the main unit to your hub turn off the hub's own wifi and place the satellites on each floor mine are on the landing near the stairs on eaxh level.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TrebleTA This message was authored by: TrebleTA

Still running a cable will be best

Sky FTTP, SR203 hub self bridged to Asus AX82U. Sky Q UHD to Samsung QE55S95BAYXXU , Sky Q Mini.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion