Discussion topic: PfSense with Sky SR203 Router VDSL

This message was authored by SirJimbo66 This message was authored by: SirJimbo66

PfSense with Sky SR203 Router VDSL

Help Please!

I ask for help as i have almost gave up. (even though I have felt I am close a few times).

I recently moved over to sky for a few reason and thought in my naievity that it would be a simple task to get my network up and running. Yet I have hit more then one hurdle. Skys Mer and DHCP rule 61 being the pinacle of my pain. I think in my testing and trying I have "unset" some settings on other devices also.

Overview of goals.

1. I would like to be able to run my PfSense server as my main router. (So I can set up my VLANs etc)
  2. I would like to not use the Supplied Sky SR203 router at all in my set up. (It is so tempramental and caused a few issues already. Does not like to remember static IPs. UI is counterintuitive)
  3. I am looking for the correct settings/set up for PfSense.
  4. No use of double NAT.
  5. Settings for Huawei Hg612 3b router (If needed)

I have tried many different "soloutions", yet have not managed to crack my issues. Such as trying to intercept the rule using Glasswire (again I am unable to confirm if I am getting the correct information).

The perfect soloution would be to put the Sky router into Bridge mode. I think we are all aware that this does not exist. (Would make life so so so much easier! @sky).

I have (and have used succsessfuly in the past with other ISPs. A unlocked Huawai Hg612 3b router. Again I think I may have messed up the setting on this also through testing and trying things. So have no way to 100% confirm these settings are correct) at my disposal.

I would prefer not to spend any money as I feel like I have all the tools and equipment. Yet if there is potentially an easier or more elegant soloution, then I will happily spend money.

I have an OK understanding of terms. I am not a pro and slightly more then an amatur!

I appreciate any help.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

I will be checking the forum on a regular basis.

Thank you.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: PfSense with Sky SR203 Router VDSL

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Hi @SirJimbo66 

Generally I dont recommend using the old Huawei modems anymore as they are EOL and dont get any sort of security updates or support anymore.

The general recommendation on the forum is as follows;

If you are on FTTC (Superfast) then you'll need a Draytek Vigor OR TP-Link TD-W9970 modem to pair with a router that supports DHCP Option 61 Authentication

If you are on FTTP (Ultrafast) then just connect a DHCP Option 61 capable router to the Openreach ONT.

There is no longer a need to do any sort of MAC address cloning or fetching your login details. The login details are generic for everyone: abc123@skydsl|abc123

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by SirJimbo This message was authored by: SirJimbo

Hello @jamesn123 

I thank you for your answer. 

So my outtake from your answer is.... I have been over complicating stuff again!!! I knew I would have. I do it all the time!

I am so glad you said that the Huawai router is not needed. I hated that thing! 

I am only able to get the Superfast broadband. So will need to go down the modem route. Regarding the TP-link and Draytek modems. What is it that makes them so special? Is there a setting in them to accept Sky Mer or is it an ability to use in bridge mode? I will still be doing my research on them. But sometimes it's just easier to ask! Any recommendation over one or the other? TP seems a lot cheaper at first glance. 

Thank you also for the conformation about not needing to clone/manipulate. That was a big hurdle. 

I am pretty sure that PfSense is a option 61 capable router. Will have a look for correct settings. I think I have a similar post or something useful in my forever growing bookmark folder on the whole issue!! 

Again though... Thank you. I now have a good solid starting point again. Not sinking in the mud. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SirJimbo wrote:

Regarding the TP-link and Draytek modems. What is it that makes them so special? Is there a setting in them to accept Sky Mer or is it an ability to use in bridge mode?

Mostly just they are about the last people making standalone VDSL modems at all...

Neither does the authentication itself, and both are 'bridges' in the MOdulation/DEModulation sense.

Personally I prefer the DrayTek approach, but as you say, TPLink is cheaper and appears to work.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Thank you again. @jamesn123 

I do enjoy simplicity. I also love a challenge. This one just started to grow too many arms and legs! 

I will keep people posted and if I have the solution and settings correct I will post for future strugglers. 

Thank you also @TimmyBGood 

As much information as possible is always awesome. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@SirJimbo 

Yeah pretty much the only companies left making standalone VDSL modems. The draytek is the more expensive option with a bigger feature set and better support whereas the TP-Link is more of a budget option

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion