Discussion topic: Packet loss when not using a vpn

This message was authored by Domie This message was authored by: Domie

Packet loss when not using a vpn

Recently posted about packet loss while using geforce now streaming a game. The issue is fixed by using a vpn. Why would this be? Are sky doing something intentionally to using this service? Downloads fine 60mbps im the only one on the network connected via ethernet.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Packet loss when not using a vpn

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Domie 

VPNs route your service through the VPN providers infrastructure (known as hops). When not using your VPN your traffic goes through Sky hops. To me it sounds like there is a dodgy route on the Sky side that you dont take when using the VPN

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Domie
Topic Author
This message was authored by Domie This message was authored by: Domie

interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Do you think this is something Sky will be able to fix? or be willing to investigate?

@Domie 

its not something Sky have a direct route for reporting. If you call up and try to report it you may get lucky with an adviser knowledgeable enough to pass it on to the L2 network team 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Domie Shot in the dark, but maybe worth powering the router off for 30 mins to gain another IP address. The routing alters when you do, and it seems to be an answer to things like slow throughput sometimes too...

@jamesn123 Is there still such a thing as higher level tech support that the consumer can get hold of..? 

I managed it once years ago, but these days it seems like whenever people call up they can never get through to higher level support regardless of request...🤔

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

@JPR007 

Yes there is

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by ltron This message was authored by: ltron

I have the same problem.  I don't remember this being an issue when I moved in a year ago so something must have changed in the last six to nine months.  The packet loss from the Geforce Now speed test is reflected in actual games so it is not a reporting error.

By the way this is using an ethernet connection wired directly to the router, I have tested using multiple PCs.  The same is observed when using a wireless connection both on PC and my Android tablet.  Other streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and Now TV are fine.  Only Geforce NOW and XBOX Game Pass cloud gaming services have issues.  All other speed tests are fine with no packet loss and expected download and upload speeds.

This message was authored by Vu1tan This message was authored by: Vu1tan

Hello all, I have the same issue when using Sky Fibre Broadband - Poor performance of Xbox Cloud Gaming, stuttering image, audio drops. Making it unplayable.

However, if I swap to connecting to the same cloud gaming service with 4G mobile data,  all is fine!

Hope someone can find a solution, but sounds like maybe one of those issues that'll not be worth the stress fighting to get fixed.  Unfortunately past experience with Broadband providers, suggest the long term solution will be having to change provider when the contracts up.

If you are playing via PC I find the performance of XCloud via the Edge browser to be much better than using the app (still not great though, but acceptable).  However, performance using cloud gaming services on Sky Broadband needs to be improved significantly.  I hope they listen.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion