Discussion topic: Momentary Stoppages Of Internet?

This message was authored by TonyHunt This message was authored by: TonyHunt

Momentary Stoppages Of Internet?

Hello;  I have a music streamer and at random times during an evening's listening, the track just stops for no apparent reason. Sometimes it starts again after a minute, otherwise I have to skip to the beginning or the end, to get going again.

This happens most evening several times, and is extremely irritating!

It doesn't usually happen during the day, I've streamed music all day (daylight hours) for the last 3 days with no problems, but in the evenings the stoppages start again (if you'll excuse the expression).

It is not the streaming source (Qobuz - it's like Spotify or Tidal), as I have tried other sources and the stoppages happen with them too.

It doesn't seem to be the streamer, as it works all day without problems. However streaming Netflix or YouTube on my Sky Q box via wi-fi, are not affected at all, at any time. My streamer is connected via an ethernet cable (which I've tried switching with no effect).

So I suspect it's a broadband issue. Have contacted Sky and my Router/Modem have been Reset/Rebooted, and all the automatic line checks have been done. It apparently all checks out okay!

Does anyone have any ideas  what could be happening? I'm completely at a loss.

Thanks for your help.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Momentary Stoppages Of Internet?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TonyHunt 

If its happening only in the evening then its almost certainly WiFi interference as that is the time of day everyone is using their broadband. Its likely neighbouring routers causing the problem. Have you tried changing your WiFi channel?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
TonyHunt
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply, and your time.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but my music streamer is connected via an ethernet cable to the router, it doesn't use wifi; would wifi interferance affect that? My other streaming devices Sky Q Box, laptop etc, are not affected by any of these stoppages.

Thanks again for your time.

@TonyHunt 

Sorry i completely missed that part in your original post. No if its connected via ethernet then it should not be affected. Which Sky hub do you have?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@TonyHunt 

Is the streamer directly connected to the sky hub or via a switch with other other devices

If you have a black sky hub could you post your router stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
TonyHunt
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

No worries, thanks for your time and advice.

My router is a Sky Q  with the 4 lights on the front, and 4 ethernet ports on the back, one of which is for input from the modem.20241010_135707.jpg

Cheers,

Tony Hunt

@TonyHunt 

Thats the Sky Broadband Hub (SR203) not the Sky Q Hub, the Sky Q hub sits flat not upright. Could you please do as @cookiemonsteruk has said and post your stats as it may show if/why the connection is dropping to your device.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
TonyHunt
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thanks for your help. The ethernet cable is plugged directly into the back of the Sky Q router.

Here are the stats you asked for:-

TonyHunt_0-1728565761693.png

Cheers

Tony Hunt

TonyHunt
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

Apologies. I thought it was a sky Q hub!

Here are the stats:-

TonyHunt_0-1728565913387.png

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@TonyHunt 

@jamesn123 that rules out collision packets.  

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

@TonyHunt 

Unfortunately those stats dont tell us much. It suggests your router, WAN connection & ethernet connection have all been up for 144hrs.

What might be worth doing it taking a screenshot/copy & pasting your stats when you notice the issue happening next.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
TonyHunt
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk @jamesn123 

Sorry if this sounds naive, and maybe its not possible, but my thinking is:-

Perhaps there is an occasional glytch, a momentary stoppage or burst of crackle or static, down the line from outside, which stops the datastream enough to empty the buffer in the streamer, and/or maybe the streamer is very sensitive to these occurances.

Is there any way of getting my line from outside watched for a day or two, to see if that is the problem?

I don't know if that is realistic at all . . . . . . . 

Cheers

Tony Hunt

@TonyHunt 

What connection type are you on? Your router says WANoE which would suggest Full Fibre (FTTP) but your speeds are 80/20 which would suggest a very good Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) line. Or are you just on the 80/20 package via FTTP?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
TonyHunt
Topic Author

@jamesn123 @cookiemonsteruk 

What happens with the streamer is that the music just stops. I have (as quick as I could) on occasion,  done a speed test, and everything is back up to speed within seconds. Likewise I have done a broadband test on the 'My Sky' app several times and its come up clear and fully functioning.

If I leave it alone, within perhaps a minute, the streamer will resume, I have also 'skipped' to the start or the end of the track, and it will restart almost immediately.

Sometimes it does it 6 or 7 times a night, and sometimes only once or twice. Occasionally it works okay all night.

Whilst the music is on, I sometimes watch YouTube or videos on Facebook, (via wifi) and there is never any problem.

Oh, (a Columbo moment), I've had the streamer for about 6 and a half years, and the problems only started about 6 months ago. The last change to the system was a new router about 2 years ago.

Cheers

TonyHunt
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

I' sorry, all I know is that I'm on Sky Broadband Superfast

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion