Discussion topic: Location Issues

This message was authored by ryane This message was authored by: ryane

Location Issues

Have been with Sky many years, and never changed any settings.

Just recently started to see some location based issues.

Ex, just purchased something from Amazon then got an email from Amazon stating "action required" and asking me to confirm if it was me as the location is near Rimini, Italy?

I've also go issues with apps on my phone that are location specific. Some functionality is only available if in the UK. This has been fine for years but recently that functionality has gone.

I've powered down/disconnected the router several times. 

All the various "what is my ip" websites show my location correctly as UK.

I've not changed a single setting and it just started happening last week. It's across devices in the house so not a device specific problem. I can only assume something has changes on Sky's side of things.

Any ideas?

Best Answers
ryane
Topic Author
This message was authored by ryane This message was authored by: ryane Answer

Re: Location Issues

I have tried this many times but it does not seem to be working.

Interesting I checked via an IP webiste and the ASN shown is 2 1 0 2 7 8 which is "Sky Italia".

The ASN for Sky UK Ltd is 5607.

So although my IP is showing as UK, the ASN is Sky Italy, which is almost certinaly the route of my issues.

I've raised with Sky and they are going to look into it further.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

ryane
Topic Author

Forgot to add: if I use my phone on mobile data rather than Wi-Fi the location based functionality returns, it is only when connected to my Wi-Fi that I have the issue.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ryane 

Switch your router off for 20mins to fetch a new public IP. I know you said your current IP is showing as UK but you may have a dodgy one

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ryane
Topic Author
This message was authored by ryane This message was authored by: ryane Answer

I have tried this many times but it does not seem to be working.

Interesting I checked via an IP webiste and the ASN shown is 2 1 0 2 7 8 which is "Sky Italia".

The ASN for Sky UK Ltd is 5607.

So although my IP is showing as UK, the ASN is Sky Italy, which is almost certinaly the route of my issues.

I've raised with Sky and they are going to look into it further.

This message was authored by Cmdrcrash This message was authored by: Cmdrcrash

Location issue

Hey over the last couple days having a weird issue with broadband. It keeps saying I'm in Italy? Ip is showing in the UK but not sure why it's saying the wrong country

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Location issue

@Cmdrcrash 

Someone had the same issue last week. They where told Rimini. Turn the hub off for 1/2 hour to get new ip address

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Cmdrcrash 

Apparently whilst ip address shows uk ASN shows Italy

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Location-Issues/m-p/4017198

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by Cmdrcrash This message was authored by: Cmdrcrash

I saw the post, thanks unfortunately in both cases thar didn't seem to work

@Cmdrcrash 

In linking in that post hopefully OP can update us

This message was authored by SuperBatman This message was authored by: SuperBatman

Having same issue 

Any update?

ryane
Topic Author

Nothing yet. Got a text saying it was sorted last week.....it wasn't.

I called sky again, super helpful on the phone but none of them have ever heard of this issue before. I've left it with them again, but I'm away from home for a few days now so will be a while before I can test again.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@ryane 

That's the problem with dynamic public IP addresses they are sold and resold to different providers over the globe, you can never work out where you are with a dynamic IP address and neither can anyone else, good for security bad if you want to know at a certain address! If you want a fixed address in the UK then join an ISP that has fixed IP addresses! 😀

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
ryane
Topic Author

Still no updates. 

I called again and although the issue has been rasied with "management" it does not apear to have been looked at.

They sent me a new router, but this has not resolved the issue. Switched it off over night, back on in the morning, while this did get me a new IP address, it was still one serviced by Sky Italia rather than Sky UK.

Hopefully I'm getting a call back with an update on Wednesday. We'll see.....

ryane
Topic Author

Almost a month later of switching the router off for 30mins or so almost every day I finally have a new IP that isn't serviced by Sky Italia, I'm back in the Sky UK ASN and the location based websites and apps are now working correctly!

No idea if Sky have changed anything as a result of my calls as I've not heard back but I'll call tomorrow to find out.

This message was authored by SuperBatman This message was authored by: SuperBatman

Thanks. Keep us updated. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion