Discussion topic: Intermittent Broadband Connection Issue (possibly DNS)

This message was authored by Simply14 This message was authored by: Simply14

Intermittent Broadband Connection Issue (possibly DNS)

Quite often (several times a day) when I try and connect to web sites I get 'This site cannot be reached', 'took too long to respond' messages. The problem persist for a while on the device and will then suddenly go away. The problem occurs on all devices and all browsers on the same device. Quite often when the problem occurs on one device it doesn't occur at the same time on another device.

I've run the windows network diagnostic tools whilst the problem occurs and the diagnostic says everything is good. Once the diagnostic reported DNS lookup failed so I manually set the nameservers to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 but that didn't help. Also putting in an IP address directly to circumvent the DNS lookup doesn't work either.

When there are no browser connections, connections to mail servers seem to work.

I have 2 devices next to each other, at the moment one isn't working and times out pinging 142.251.16.94, i.e. google.co.uk. The other machine can ping 142.251.16.94 without any problems.

Lo, behold, after a restart both devices work fine.

I am flummoxed.

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Intermittent Broadband Connection Issue (possibly DNS)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Simply14 you havectried most of the obvious fixes like using public DNS if the issue persists give Sky a call as it could beca hub issue and see if they will swap it out for you. Also worth checking if a rogue device is causing the issue which is also possible. Suspects tend to be cheap IOT kit or anything that is getting old.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Addie15 This message was authored by: Addie15

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I’ve escalated your post to our Community Messaging team who will invite you to a private chat shortly and help you with this.  

Just look out for the colourful bubble to start the conversation.

Here's more information on how Community Messaging works - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147 

This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Update – Thanks for chatting to us. Unfortunately, there was no further response on the chat in 48 hours, we are still waiting to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your chat has been closed now. Thanks

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion