Discussion topic: HP OfficeJet Printer will not connect to WiFi

This message was authored by Amethyst46 This message was authored by: Amethyst46

HP OfficeJet Printer will not connect to WiFi

I'll preface this with I'm a new Sky broadband user, and my printer was previously connected to Vodafone for over a year with no issues at all. Immediately after my Sky broadband was activated my printer will not connect to WiFi. It can see the network, and I have used both the password and the WPS button. I spoke with Technical support for over an hour, who made me repeat those steps, reset the router, split the network and try to connect with both, reset the router again to no avail. My printer diagnostic suggests that I need to add the MAC address to the router, but I've seen several posts stating SKY routers have no MAC filtering, and apparently the tech team are not trained on such issues. I can only assume it's related to the SKY router since that's the only thing that has changed. Any suggestions before I cancel my SKY contract would be gratefully received.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

Re: HP OfficeJet Printer will not connect to WiFi

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Amethyst46  Have you tried to re-set the printer back to factory so it has no settings in at all and then try to connect it.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Do you know which WiFi band the printer works on (2.4GHz or 5Ghz).

You will need to log into your Sky Hubs admin pages to make some changes.

From there check the settings for WiFi under Security Options.

(If you've split the bands then there may be separate settings for the two bands)

If secutity is set to WPA2-PSK (AES) try WPA/WPA2-PSK (Mixed Mode)

(The reason is that your HP printer may not be capable of using WPA2.)

Amethyst46
Topic Author
This message was authored by Amethyst46 This message was authored by: Amethyst46

It apparently works on 2.4GHz. I just made the suggested changes, but again neither WPS nor password works to connect. Changes made on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Amethyst46  Have you tried to split the Wi-Fi bands to see if the printer would connect?

Amethyst46
Topic Author

I've now re-split the network with the mixed mode security settings, tried both bands with both WPS and password. Still no joy.

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder Answer

@Amethyst46  Have you tried to re-set the printer back to factory so it has no settings in at all and then try to connect it.

Amethyst46
Topic Author

Finally.....thank you very much 🙂

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Amethyst46  I take the factory re-set worked out for you?

Amethyst46
Topic Author

Yeah, the traditional off and on again, can't believe I didn't start there first!

This message was authored by ab45me16 This message was authored by: ab45me16

I followed every step in the process as described, and it worked - I had spent hours trying to sort this out over the past two days, so I'm very pleased that I eventually looked for help of the Sky community forum and that this solution to connect my HP printer was on the forum. Thank you so much!!! 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion