Discussion topic: Got a weird one here

This message was authored by Davy58 This message was authored by: Davy58

Got a weird one here

I recently got the new Wi-Fi max that is supposed to do everything bar make coffee in that Wi-Fi is great blah blah blah

well, my Wi-Fi actually dropped upstairs and despite calling Sky who wanted me to film where the router is etc and basically film my house for him, I refused and cancelled it. No problem and it was all back to what it was before after I connected my old router back up again and speed was back to what it was as well.

Long story short, I couldn't connect today using old router details. For some reason, it has changed to the new router name and password I have disconnected. Internet is now working again. This only happened when I tried to use my laptop I haven't used in ages and old router details wouldn't show and connected to new one if you see what I mean.

why did it do this and would love someone to explain to me. I've never had this in all the 15 years I've been with Sky and I've had a few routers in all that time.

sorry for the long post but can't fathom it out.

65inch Sky Glass, 2 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Superfast Broadband

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Got a weird one here

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Davy58 

Its possible that if the booster was powered on at any point when you were using the new hub that it could have copied the SSID & Password

You could also use a WiFi analyzer app on your phone to see where the signal is coming from just to check that it is your own router. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Davy58 

Do you have any sort of booster/extender in use?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Davy58
Topic Author
This message was authored by Davy58 This message was authored by: Davy58

@jamesn123

with the old router which is the version before the new one, I did use a Sky booster, the white one. For the new router I didn't connect it at all.

when I started the old router back up, I connected the booster back up, so yes, I do use it now. That's when the problems started. Do you think it's something to do with the booster?

65inch Sky Glass, 2 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Superfast Broadband
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Davy58 

Its possible that if the booster was powered on at any point when you were using the new hub that it could have copied the SSID & Password

You could also use a WiFi analyzer app on your phone to see where the signal is coming from just to check that it is your own router. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion