Discussion topic: GFast Disconnects

This message was authored by Yorkshire+Bloke This message was authored by: Yorkshire+Bloke

GFast Disconnects

Hi, Ive had GFast now since late 2020, early 2021, and since then ive suffered disconnects at certain parts of the day. Sometimes it could be 6pm say every day, then 7,  and now for a long time my internet goes off between 9 and 9:15pm daily. My line quality is great so there doesnt seem to be any obvious issues with that. We did have an engineer come out to take a look at it and he said i had a faulty router which he replaced, least he thought it was faulty, but that never cleared the issue up. During the day the connection is rock solid stable, as i work from home lots i really would have an issue if it was cutting out during the day but it doesnt. 

Could this be something at the exchange?? Has anyone seen this before at a set time of day? 

My router is plugged into  the master socket directly via the filter. I have reported this back to sky today but thought id ask on here to see if anyone has seen a similar situation.

Thanks in advance 🙂

All Replies

Yorkshire+Bloke
Topic Author
This message was authored by Yorkshire+Bloke This message was authored by: Yorkshire+Bloke

Re: GFast Disconnects

Meant to say before i had Gfast i still had a super quality line and never suffered any disconnections

This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

The problem is, the engineer is right in saying it could be the router. It's software and the type of router isn't handling your gigafast connection speeds well. It's as if it's resetting itself due to it coping for so long then cutting out. 

It may very well be a router issue and not anything to do with the line.

Unfortunately it's Sky who needs to resolve and issue better hardware, but I wouldn't hold your breathe. 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kevin-7248 wrote:

The problem is, the engineer is right in saying it could be the router. It's software and the type of router isn't handling your gigafast connection speeds well. It's as if it's resetting itself due to it coping for so long then cutting out. 

It may very well be a router issue and not anything to do with the line.

Unfortunately it's Sky who needs to resolve and issue better hardware, but I wouldn't hold your breathe. 

Just a point.

The OP has GFast not gigafast, they are two different technologies. GFast is via the phone line and gigafast is via a full fibre connection.

@Yorkshire+Bloke 

Can you post your hub stats

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014...

Also this happening on wifi devices, ethernet or both?. Does the internet light stay green? Do you use powerline adapters close to the gfast mastersocket?  Can you post a photo of the mastersocket.  

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kevin-7248 wrote:

G.fast is a DSL technology using copper phone wiring to a local fibre distribution point, and Sky only offers the 'up to' 150Mbs version (there's also an 'up to' 300Mbs)

There's no issue with a Sky Broadband Hub coping with G.fast speed and the router swap-out shows that's not where the issue is.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Kevin-7248 This message was authored by: Kevin-7248

@TimmyBGood @simon194 Ah, my apologies. 

It would seem upon first reading it was Gigafast and shortened to Gfast due to not placing a G.Fast like abbreviation.

*Bows and walks backward, Carry on* 

••••¥¥¥¥•••••¥¥¥;••••••¥¥¥¥
Sky Glass 65”
Sky Fibre Gigafast Plus
Been a sky customer through the ages from before HD boxes were a thing! When sky was a box you had to wind up to work 
Yorkshire+Bloke
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for the replies guys. Yes, to confirm i am on GFast, not gigafast. Below are my router stats. As you can see frp th wan uptime, it disconnected tonight, although i wasnt on the net so we didnt notice it. I cant rememeber 100% how many of my lights go out on the router, im sure my wifi drops out too, which i need to check as the router seems to stay active, ill have to connect my laptop in with a cat 5 to conform that, but deffo the wan connection drops. Seems like it dropped about 9:12pm tonight. Im going to see if i can start to save the log files 

I have no power plugs, the router is plugged into a 4 gang socket then straight into the mains socket on the wall. Its actually in a different socket to what it used to be when i first reported the problem. Its not on a smart plug or anything, still cant work out why it does it about the same time most days, i dont think it did it yesterday. Ive no other power issues in my house, no other strange issues etc with other devices. I can understand maybe a loose connection etc, its just the regular time of day that it does it, i mean, why not at 6pm or mid afternoon lol 

Heres the router log for when it disconnected, how many link renewals should it do?

21:12:59 syslog: ptm0.1 - WAN link DOWN.
21:12:59 syslog: DHCP lease invalid(WANoE). Connection DOWN.
21:13:02 syslog: Clear IP addresses. IP connection DOWN.
 21:13:03 syslog: Voice IP Connection Down

Screenshot from 2023-05-08 23-17-55.png

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Yorkshire+Bloke 

For starters I would just unplug your router for a couple mins, the poor thing has been on for 96 days without a break! You'd be surprised how many issues can come up by just having the router on for extended periods without a reboot.

Also I'd try plugging it directly into a socket rather than using an extension lead, G.fast can be very temperamental when it comes to interference and electrical interference is one of the main causes along with interference from Homeplugs/Powerline. 

Another thing to consider is whether you've had any notable changes in appliances connected to the mains in your home since the issue started occurring as even something like an oven, fridge, microwave or even a lamp can knock G.Fast off. If you are saying its happening at a similar time each day perhaps its related to something coming on like a plug timer, scheduled heating/hot water etc. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Yorkshire+Bloke
Topic Author

Thanks for the reply, I've had the router plugged into the mains socket direct which made no difference, I've reset it in the past and again it makes no difference. The only thing I have on a timer are 2 uplighters in the lounge which are set to come on at 30mins before sunset, so that's a different time each day. Only other electrical items I have in the house are fridge,, TV, sky q box, tumble drier, shower and lights. The only item that would come on and off is the fridge. But that wouldn't explain the regularity. The router doesn't appear to be power cycling, it's dropping connection, I'll do some more investigation tonight. The only other thing I have plugged in is my house phone into the router. I'll leave the unplugged tonight just incase. All very odd

This message was authored by kevinhardowar This message was authored by: kevinhardowar

did you ever resolve this ?  Had this issue for 6 months now, SKY and Openreach been out almmost 10 time combined, escalated, they cannot find route cause.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion