Discussion topic: Full fibre by others cancelling Sky

This message was authored by DaveLowe17 This message was authored by: DaveLowe17

Full fibre by others cancelling Sky

after being a customer of Sky for over 20 yrs I cancelled my subscription but remained using Sky broadband, howveer they have now notified me that this is to increase some £4 per month from April, which is fankly outrageous. I was hoping that Sky would have full fibre available v soon but they dont and another provider has the ability to provide me with 900mbps through full fibre so Im lkooking to cancel Sky or at the very least talk to them but they make it so painful to get in touch I can no longer be bothered to hang on for 30mins! I am looking for the best way to cancel my broadband subscription to ensure I dont lose any internet connection throughout the handover process

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Full fibre by others cancelling Sky

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DaveLowe17 wrote:

to ensure I dont lose any internet connection throughout the handover process

If the ISP you are considering moving to is an altnet provider (laying their own private fibre) rather than using the Openreach network then there's absolutely no guarantee of seamless service: it's currently not a 'handover'.

Ofcom were hoping to have altnets on-board next month, but that's now looking uncertain.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@DaveLowe17 wrote:

to ensure I dont lose any internet connection throughout the handover process

If the ISP you are considering moving to is an altnet provider (laying their own private fibre) rather than using the Openreach network then there's absolutely no guarantee of seamless service: it's currently not a 'handover'.

Ofcom were hoping to have altnets on-board next month, but that's now looking uncertain.

DaveLowe17
Topic Author
This message was authored by DaveLowe17 This message was authored by: DaveLowe17

thanks for the info Im going with Vispa who have been installing fibre all around our neighbourhood. Im guessing it must be eaqual if not better than what I currently have and will suffice my needs. Im proposing to install check it works etc before cancelling the existing Sky which has run past contract and on 30 days notice so itll be minimal cost for the extra month

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@DaveLowe17 wrote:

Im proposing to install check it works etc before cancelling the existing Sky 

That's definitely the best way to approach it.  I don't think anyone is particularly confident that the 'one-touch' switch will be great for a while: it's a really complex thing to get working.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion