Discussion topic: Fibre optic release?

This message was authored by Gamer01000 This message was authored by: Gamer01000

Fibre optic release?

I was wandering if anyone knows when or rather if fibre optic will be available in my area (Somerset area) there's a deal for netflix plus fibre optic which many customers can't get for obvious reasons. I can wait a few years more but I doubt it'll be here in under 5 years since 5G and even (sometimes) 4G are non existent here.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Fibre optic release?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Gamer01000 wrote:

I can wait a few years more but I doubt it'll be here in under 5 years 

The Openreach target to get FTTP within reach of all commercially viable UK addresses is by the end of 2026.  Terrestrial fibre deployment is completely independent of whatever the four cellular networks are doing with their private mast coverage.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/05/openreach-name-517-new-uk-locations-for-fttp-broadband... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Gamer01000 

Openreach has a postcode checker here: 

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband 

If there's an announced local date then that should be indicated, otherwise it will default to 'by December 2026' or, in some cases, may report that the location isn't currently in scope (because installation cost exceeds all possible future income)

Gamer01000
Topic Author
This message was authored by Gamer01000 This message was authored by: Gamer01000

Thanks for the info but I assume it'll be at the very end of 2026 is there any plans to maintain or improve current 4G networks? I dont care abput not having 5G but my 4G drops sometimes.

@Gamer01000 

4/5G coverage is down to the four individual competing cellular networks (Vodafone, O2, EE and Three) and where they choose to make their investments. All other mobile providers are virtual network operators on one of those distributions.

Openreach is in charge of the national optical cable rollout and has to offer the same service to all their terrestrial ISP customers.

Gamer01000
Topic Author

I'm with sky for my mobile coverage...

@Gamer01000 

Sky Mobile is an MVNO on the O2 network.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion