Discussion topic: FTTP Enquiry.

This message was authored by JZR This message was authored by: JZR

FTTP Enquiry.

Hi all

I currently have sky broadband but am wait in on an upgrade to Ultrafast FTTP. My modem is currently in the hall which is central in the house for the best range/wifi. Does the new installation mean that the modem will have to be moved to the end room of the house in order for the fibre cable to come into the ONT? 

can I run a cat5 from the new ONT to the new modem in the hallway and keep it central? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: FTTP Enquiry.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JZR  Simple answer to your query is yes you can.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@JZR 

"can I run a cat5 from the new ONT to the new modem in the hallway and keep it central? "

That would be the best option . The ont is effectively the new modem and the hub is just a router. Any cat5e or above ethernet will suffice

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
JZR
Topic Author
This message was authored by JZR This message was authored by: JZR

@cookiemonsteruk so I can put the new hub into the hallway instead of my original hun and just run an Ethernet cable to it, or will the sky engineer be able to get the ont to the hall? Would a cat6 be better if I was to run it to the hallway

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@JZR 

Openreach standard installation gives the following detail:-

"

"connect your customer’s router next to the ONT"

But it doesn't always happen but it should be an easy diy job

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@JZR wrote:

Would a cat6 be better if I was to run it to the hallway

Use Cat6 if it makes you happy, but there's no need to: Cat5e happily carries gigabit data.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion