Discussion topic: Eero and SR203 - bridged or double NAT'd

This message was authored by twok This message was authored by: twok

Eero and SR203 - bridged or double NAT'd

I suffer from freezing web pages via wifi connections to the Sky hub. I think its the Sky DNS servers being flakey. As soon as I reboot the router the isue goes but quickly comes back. iPhones are particularly affected. When I change the DNS to Google DNS servers  on the iphone wifi profile I don't get the issue. Anyhow I would like to ditch the Sky hub all together but combined modems/routers are very limited so I have ordered an Eero to piggyback onto the Sky hub. My question is should I use a NAT or bridged connection? I think to change the DNS on the Eero I may have to use a double NAT config? I have innumerable devices losts of them SMART switches where reconfiguring everything to use a different wifi SID would be painful. I'm hoping I can disable  the wifi on the SR203 and then reuse the SID creds on the Eero. I am no expert so I my asssumptions may be invalid. If someone there's a better solution that's great. I am just tired of web pages that suddenly stop loading. I see others suffer similarly using the Sky hub. BTW wifi signal in other parts of the house isn't too bad so I don't think I need a big mesh network but maybe one upstairs wouldn't go amiss. I have just ordered the one Eero 5 for now.

All Replies

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Re: Eero and SR203 - bridged or double NAT'd

I think you have two options here.

The double NAT with the SR203 connected to the Eero in router mode with the wifi switched off on the SR203. I've used this method with my TP-link AX20 for a year now - key to this is to put the Eero in the DMZ of the SR203.

Alternatively you can use the Eero in AP mode, switch off the DHCP server of the SR203 and use the DHCP server of the Eero. In this case you have to set the GW address to the IP address of the SR203 rather than the Eero. Again, switch off the wifi on the SR203.

I prefer to use the first option since it allows me to keep the advanced gateway functions of the AX20.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion