Discussion topic: Broadband down for almost 12 hours so far

This message was authored by Callum+Helix This message was authored by: Callum+Helix

Broadband down for almost 12 hours so far

The service checker saying "we were updated at 6am that there is a problem in your area" is useless information. I know there's a problem, I can't work while there's no internet! 

Were engineers dispatched? How wide is the area affected? What "area" have you determined to be affected? 

Zero update in almost 12 hours now is pathetic, the hell are you doing?

I have to get a piece of work done in the next 3 hours or deadlines are not met, unfortunately it appears much like the engineers  work!

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Broadband down for almost 12 hours so far

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Callum+Helix 

ISPs like Sky (and BT / Plusnet / EE / TalkTalk / Vodaphone) don't run the majority of the infrastructure over which their broadband services are delivered: that's done by Openreach who own and maintain it as a legacy of telecoms privatisation in the 1980s.  Unfortunately Openreach only provide information to their ISP clients as they see fit, and aren't particularly great at doing so.

For an area outage it's worth checking local news sources, as those can, for example, sometimes indicate if there's been damage to something critical, which might in itself suggest a likely timescale for a fix.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Callum+Helix
Topic Author
This message was authored by Callum+Helix This message was authored by: Callum+Helix

Fair enough, but I imagine Sky are acting as an intermediary then between me and Openreach or should I then be going and telling Openreach to inform me of progress?

Or at the very least acting as an intermediary they should put "Openreach has been notified".

I'll go and check local news to see if there's an overall problem for now.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Callum+Helix 

Openreach won't respond to such queries from the public.  For everything but individual property connections their involvement is automatic, so for an area outage it's reasonable to assume that they are already working on it unless it's an ISP-specific issue in exchange hardware (which isn't unknown) in which case they typically arrange ISP access to the relevant premises asap to do things like replacing failed network interface cards. 

Sometimes bad things just happen: this was why 4000 properties in Hampshire lost internet back in June

Hampshire-Openreach-Cable-Break.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by walneyite This message was authored by: walneyite

I'm in Cumbria and nothing all day 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion