Discussion topic: Broadband boost

This message was authored by James+15 This message was authored by: James+15

Broadband boost

Hi, hoping someone out there can help. We have recently had sky's ultrafast plus installed and by the hub we are experiencing just shy of 500mbs, however and this is the issue we are in a 4 bed detached and on both xboxes upstairs it drops to around 130mbs, we have the sky q multiroom boxes in the same rooms but don't appear to improve the signal. So I am thinking I may need a booster. The BT engineer stated it would have to be Mesh compatible, he stated that sonos and another company beginning with D were compatible but looking for advice from others who have experienced and solved this issue?

Jim

All Replies

This message was authored by gurinder81 This message was authored by: gurinder81

Re: Broadband boost

Similar situation to myself with Ultrafast Plus. Owing to shape of house and all internal block walls, WiFi signal (especially in some of the upstairs rooms) was patchy. Have a booster upstairs and WiFi speed after I installed the booster has gone from circa 50 mb/s (or no signal whatsoever) to between 60-200 which I think is as good as it will get over WiFi in my circumstances. I don't think the sky booster is mesh based, I was under the impression that it simply amplified the signal from the hub. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@James+15 

Your 'issue' is a non-issue. That speed over WiFi from an ISP grade router with other mesh nodes in play is a very good speed. You'll be investing in £££s of 3rd party WiFi gear to get 500+ like you do next to the router. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

caqRe: Broadband boost

@gurinder81 wrote:

I don't think the sky booster is mesh based, I was under the impression that it simply amplified the signal from the hub. 

A real 'mesh' has a minimum of three nodes, two nodes is basically just a boosted relay.  A combination of three or more elements of Sky Hub, booster(s) and Q television box(es) can form a 'mesh', which is by definition a topology that has alternative routing paths available within it to enable data to reach a client device most effectively and efficiently.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
James+15
Topic Author

So what your saying is pointless getting a booster like sonos for the top of the stairs to improve the signal for bedrooms/games rooms?

Jim
This message was authored by gurinder81 This message was authored by: gurinder81

In my case it did improve the signal but not to the extent where it was reaching the full ultrfast speeds (which I didn't expect it to anyway). The boost has meant that a patchy WiFi signal has become more consistent and at a decent speed I am happy with.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@James+15 

Not 'pointless', as long as you are prepared to accept any such system is unlikely to deliver the full speed which is arriving at the Hub. For the same cost as that single Sonos unit you might want to consider something like a TP Link Deco trio (in AP mode) which would actually form a 'mesh'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
James+15
Topic Author

Screenshot_20220503-112118_Amazon Shopping.jpg

 are we talking something like this?

Jim
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@James+15 

The image was rejected as it appears to contain (most of) your post code.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
James+15
Topic Author

Screenshot_20220503-131214_Amazon Shopping.jpg

 hopefully this image can be viewed

Jim

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion