Discussion topic: Broadband Buddy

This message was authored by a7vtys This message was authored by: a7vtys

Broadband Buddy

Hi, not sure if anyone can shed any light on this but if a new device (iphone) keeps joining as a new device to the router (cycling the phone to appear as a new phone on the network) does this clog the router up as it will appear that it may have 80+ iphones connected to it? 

I basically need to restrcit some sites but they try to bypass this by cycling the phone. 

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Broadband Buddy

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@a7vtys 

It doesnt clog up the router no. If you want to avoid it happening you can switch off the Randomised MAC address setting in the WiFi settings. I believe Apple calls it 'WiFi privacy' or something like that. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
a7vtys
Topic Author

Thanks very much for the answer. As long as it does not clog up the router that is fine. I remember an engineer coming out and asking why we had so many devices on the router (kids adding their friends mobiles etc) and he said it slows it down as it is constantly looking for these devices. 

I would not be able to turn off the feature on their phone as they would not allow it., but it does not matter too much if having 80+ devices on one profile does not slow the internet/function of the router down.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@a7vtys 

No it should be fine. What I'd recommend is doing a monthly reboot of the router as this will clear out any old entries that are not currently connected to the hub. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
a7vtys
Topic Author

Good suggestion, thanks for the help.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion