Discussion topic: Bandwidth

This message was authored by Loobs72 This message was authored by: Loobs72

Bandwidth

I have changed the name of the 5ghz bandwidth network slightly so that all sky q mimi boxes connect to that network and everything is working fine. My main sky q box is connected to the original 2.4ghz network as I didn't even think of changing that. I just reset my network connection on the main sky q box with the intention of connecting that to the 5ghz network like the minis but it doesn't let me choose, it just connects to the 2.4ghz.

Does it matter that they are connected to the different bandwidths?

Thanks

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Bandwidth

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Loobs72 if the system works then the fact the box's are on different bands does not matter where you have a Sky hub. In fact the Q mesh system is designed to use dualband SSIDs where the hub then can use both bands down to a packet level. You should only need to split the bands where third party devices cannot connect to a dualband SSID. 

The Q boxes and hubs use a fairly basic mesh network to communicate where the more links between nodes the better.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Loobs72 

When splitting the WiFi bands you are not able to connect it via 5ghz as it reserves that band for backhaul connection to the Q mini boxes. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Woozler This message was authored by: Woozler

struggling to get superfast broadband today, had been experincing good speeds upto 48mbps.

does The page on skys account page that tests our settings actually do a speed test? 

was showing 48 mbps

BUT

speed checked on ookla it only brought up 1mbps

concerened ive been hacked, used torrent site the other day not realising the VPN wasnt running.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion