Discussion topic: Amber voice light - internet not working

This message was authored by Cactuars This message was authored by: Cactuars

Amber voice light - internet not working

Hello, I'm looking for some assistance if possible? 

As of 20:30 or so tonight, I have not been able to access the internet. Looking at the Sky router, I am getting three green lights for power, internet, and WiFi, but an amber light for voice.

I have tried rebooting the router several times, and have turned it off for 45 minutes before turning it back on again too. 

I've scoured the forums for advice and couldn't see a quick fix. 

My mother in law lives a two minute walk away, and her Sky internet is working fine. 

When I try and run diagnostics via the Sky app or through the Sky website, I get the following message: 

Sorry our tests are currently unavailable

Please try again later.

This unfortunately means that I cannot access the next step of escalating this issue to a Sky engineer. 

A few further parts of supporting information:

There are four PCs in the home connected to the router via cat 6 ethernet. They are having the same problem, and receive no internet access, so it's not just a Wi-Fi issue. 

I moved into the home around 45 days ago. Since moving in, there have been quite a few drop outs on both Wi-Fi and ethernet. To give an example, my wife and I could be playing a game online whilst talking on Discord, and we both get disconnected from the internet. The PCs are still connected to the router, just that neither of us receive a connection. 

After a few minutes we would regain internet access again. 

This issue also presented itself when downloading on Steam. We pay for the best Sky can give us in the area, FTTC 80 download, 20 upload. We usually see peak speaks of about 55 Mbps download, so 7.2 megabytes, or whichever way it works out. 

The download speed would slowly drop until it's downloading at a few bytes a second. Not megabytes or kilobytes, just bytes. 

After a few minutes the issue will typically resolve and we'll be back to normal. 

We also have issues with Teams calls stuttering, as we both work from home. 

The above issue was quite rare, occuring maybe two or three times a week. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

The internet not working tonight and the issues we've been facing may be totally unrelated, but I figured there's no harm in mentioning them just in case. 

I realise I'm switching between first person singular and first person plural. Apologies, I've been trying to fix the internet for two hours now, so I'm a bit spent. 

I've also tried connecting to the router with a VPN active, as I seem to remember this resolving a DNS issue a good few years ago, but unfortunately no luck. 

I plan to give Sky a call on the morning. Sod's law the internet fully goes down outside of working hours. 

Happy to receive any tips people might have, though I've tried all the usual fixes. 

Thanks

All Replies

Cactuars
Topic Author

Re: Amber voice light - internet not working

An update: 

The wife performed a "hard reset" on the router by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds, and we now have three green lights as before, and now no voice light at all. It's not amber or green, it's just not lit at all. It's been this way for around 10 minutes.

Cactuars
Topic Author

Re: Amber voice light - internet not working

An addition: 

I forgot to add that so also tried to plug in the old Sky router from the old house. It got three green lights as it doesn't have a voice light, but the internet still didn't work.

I'm not sure whether the old router would be expected to work anyway, but I am mentioning it just in case.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion